City Directories and History: 1908 – Standard Drug Co., M.G. Bryant, 1917 – Standard Drug Company (122.5) J.R. Miller, M.D. (124) M.G. Bryant Grocery, 1922/23 – Standard Drug Co., 1922/23 – @#124 Mechanics B&L Co., 1925 – Mechanics Building and Loan Bank (P.W. Spencer), 1946 – Bowen’s Drug Store, O.K. Barber Shop, 1963 – Bargain Town, (124) NA
The Herald reported on June 13, 1889 – “Mrs. Russell has contracted for the erection of a two story brick building on the vacant lot on Main Street adjacent to the store of F.O. London and Co., the building will be 30-100 feet and have a plat glass front. It will be occupied by Bryant and Gaines.”
The Charleston News and Courier reported on June 7, 1890 – “Bryant and Avery is a handsome establishment which does a very large business in groceries, canned goods, cigars, tobacco, confectioneries and fruits. Their store is one of the handsomest in Rock Hill. Bryant and Avery are each young men and have the principles of progress.”
The Herald reported on Feb. 5, 1896 – “That Rembert Barrett is learning the mill business under Major John R. London. He is succeeded at Evans Drug Store by Thornell Morrison.
The Herald reported on May 2, 1896 – “Mr. E. C. Martindale has resigned his position at Sandifer Drug Store to accept a similar one in his native town of Columbia. He is succeeded by Mr. W. T. Moore, a clever York boy.”
The Herald reported on Oct. 17, 1896 – Contained an ad for a new drug firm, Sanifer and Crayton.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on April 23, 1898 that Mr. J.B. Johnson of Rock Hill has sold his drug business to Mr. Andrew J. Evans and will now devote his time to real estate. The RH Herald reported on Jan. 13, 1900 – “On or about the 20th of this month Mr. A.J. Evans and Co., will open a drug store in the storeroom now occupied by J.H. Milling and Company.”
The Herald reported on Sept. 19, 1900, “Mr. David Lyle of Edgemoor has secured a position with the drugstore of Mr. A.J. Evans.”
The Herald of March 2, 1901 – “Mr. O.K. Williams of Gainesville Florida, a bookkeeper of experience has taken an interest in the drug business of Mr. A.J. Evans and the firm’s name will be Evans and Williams.”
In March of 1901 the Herald contained an ad for Evans and Williams, successor to A. J. Evans Co., a drug business. The partners are A.J. Evans and O.K. Williams.
On March 6, 1901 the Herald reported, “Dr. R.S. Beckham, the druggist who has been connected with the firm of A.J. Evans and Co., has accepted a position with M.H. Sandifer and will begin his work on Monday.”
The Herald reported on March 30, 1901 – “Mrs. L.B. McFadden is making dresses in one of the front rooms over the store of M.G. Bryant and Company.”
The Herald reported on Aug. 21, 1901 – “That the grocery firm of M.G. Bryant and Co., has closed. Partner Bryant has withdrawn and H.L. Gibson and R.R. Tompkins will conduct a general mercantile at the same location.”
There was an add in the Herald Aug., 16, 1901 – “announcing the formation of Gibson and Thompkins for the purpose of establishing a general mercantile business.”
The Herald reported on Dec. 4, 1901 – “Mr. M.H. Sandifer has fitted up the rooms over his drugstore and his family has moved there where they will remain during the winter.”
The Herald on July 23, 1902 – “Mr. T.N. Balfour has just completed a very neat oval sign for the Standard Drug and Manufacturing Company.”
The Herald reported on Nov. 1, 1902 – “Mrs. E.T. Dillingham has received a stock of goods and in a few days will open a 5 and 10 store in part of E.R. Avery’s store.” On Nov. 12th an ad ran for Mrs. Dillingham’s store stating – “My Stock of Goods in Now Ready for Inspection.” (It is unclear as to the exact location of this business.)
The Journal contained an ad on July 4, 1902 – “The Standard Drug Co., located three doors from the Post Office. Partners are: M.H. Sandifer, A.J. Evans, and C.A. Kuykendall.”
The Herald reported on Oct. 8, 1902 – “Mr. Ruben Kingsland will locate here and locate a dept. for fine crockery and glassware in the store of Gibson and Company.”
The Herald reported on Jan. 24, 1903 – “Mrs. E.F. (E.T.) Dillingham and family are now occupying their new cottage in Oakland.”
The Herald reported on April 18, 1903 – “The Standard Drug Co., has had an attractive ice cream parlor fitted up in the store. Also, J.S. Dunbar has accepted a position with the Standard Drug Company.”
The RH Record reported on Feb. 9, 1904 – “An ad for Dr. J.R. Stokes, ran, whose office is over the Standard Drug Company. ”
The RH Record reported on Aug 12, 1907 – “Dr. A. J. Evans of Rock Hill has purchased a drug store at Dillon, S.C.”
The RH Record reported on Oct. 1, 1908 – “That Dr. J.L. Stokes is having his offices over the Standard Drug Co., repaired and refinished.”
The Rock Hill Record reported on March 22, 1909 – “A metal ceiling is being installed in the Standard Drug Company.”
The Herald reported on Jan. 14, 1915 – “The Standard Drugstore building on Main Street is being improved. They are adding a parlor where drinks and ice cream will be served.” This was later the very popular site of the Smith Drug Store Company.
The McElwee store ledger states that the Stand Drug Co. (M.H. Sanderfer, Pres., C.R. Cowen, Manager), hold an account at the store.
The Herald contained an ad Dec 18, 1890 for Dr. W.E. Black, Surgeon – Dentist. The office was located over Bryant and Avery Store. The add stated, “Teeth extracted without pain. Country produce taken in exchange for work.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on Feb. 22, 1893 – “Dr. W.E. Black will move his family to Blacksburg and Capt. Iredell Jones will occupy the house vacated by him in Rock Hill.”
The Herald reported on June 7, 1902 – “That M.H. Sandifer (Myron H.) is organizing the Standard Drug and Manufacturing Company. Incorporators are Mr. Sandifer, A.J. Evans, and C.M. Kuykendall. The capital stock is $10,000. offered at $100. per share. They intend to add 30″ to the existing building for paints, oils, and other rough goods. The present store room will be refurbished and will had prescription cases and show cases for drugs and fancy articles. They will manufacture Campbell’s Anti-Ferment and other drugs. This will give Rock Hill three strong drug firms.”
The Herald reported on Sept. 20, 1902 – “Mr. W.S. Brown, who has been running a store near the Victoria Mill, has rented the vacant Morison Store room on Depot (N. Trade), and will remove his stock of goods to that stand. Mr. H.L. Gibson has rented the room vacated by Mr. Brown and will stock it with groceries and run it as a branch of his Main Street store.”
The Rock Hill Record of Feb. 1912, contained an add for Mechanics Building and Loan. The office is located over Phillip’s Drug Store, officers are: J.M. Cherry, Pres., and S.R. Spencer, Sec. -Treasurer.
Also see Lot #3 – South
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.