Courtesy of the J.G. Smith Store Collection – In 2014 the collection was placed permanently in the care of the Caroliniana Library Collection at the Un. of S.C.
Lancaster County – North
Image taken in 2014 by R&R
Courtesy of the Pettus Collection – 2014
Image courtesy of photographer Bill Segars – 2005
Diagram of the Historic Kershaw Depot – 1916
Kershaw, the second largest town in Lancaster county, was named in honor of Major General Joseph Brevard Kershaw. He was born in Camden in 1822, and died on April 12, 1894. He served one year in the Mexican war as a lieutenant in the Palmetto regiment. He set up the practice of law in Camden. In 1860 he served his country as a member of the Secession convention. In 1861 he was commissioned a Colonel in the Confederate army. Before the close of the war he had attained the rank of Major General. After the war he resumed his practice of law in Camden. He was later elected state senator, then United States congressman. He was made judge of the Fifth circuit from 1874 till 1893. (Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC)
Image courtesy of photographer Bill Segars – 2007