Image of the Founder’s Found – Fort Mill, S.C.
An enlargeable Abbeville District map is available as the first More Information link.
Abbeville County – North
McGowan-Barksdale-Bundy House (“The General’s House”) (Brian Scott)
Image of the expansive Due West Cotton Oil Mill complex and the Due West Depot. Image courtesy of James Gettys – 2015
Signature front balcony of the local Due West builder. Image taken in 2015 by R&R
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on June 15, 1892 that Rev. J. C. Galloway [pastor of the Yorkville ARP Church] leaves for Due West next Friday to attend a meeting of the board of trustees of Erskine College, and while there will take part in the exercises in connection with the laying of the cornerstone of the new building. There will be an address by Mr. W. A. Lee of Abbeville and the response will be by Rev. R. G. Miller of Mecklenburg, vice-president of the board of trustees.
Image taken in 2015 by R&R
Image taken in 2014: In 2012 this home is owned by Mrs. Beck Eleazer and was owned for many years by Professor James Bonner and his wife, Mary. The second story was added by Captain A. W. Clarkson around 1871 and when he returned to Due West in 1885 Samuel Agnew found it strange that the Miller house had “grown to a two storied building.” Agnew Diary, September 24, 1885 (Taken from Ware, 132. Notes from the Progress of Improvements in Our District – Gettys, 2018)
Image taken in 2014
Image courtesy of photographer, Bill Segars – 2005