This Building Has History ™
Name: H.H. White Building
Builder: A.D. Holler
From the very beginning of Rock Hill, this lot was owned by individuals engaged in the manufacture and sale of buggies and carriages. Although there are no surviving deeds from 1852 through the 1870’s, it is known that the premise was also the location of a frame house, a manufacturing plant, a show room, a blacksmith shop, and possibly more. The enterprise conducted on this spot was an important business endeavor in early Rock Hill.
In 1858, the carriage factory was owned by Robert M Kerr and Robert Patton, but their firm was insolvent by 1859. Patton was forced to sell in 1866-67, to Kerr’s brother-in-law, William L. Roach. Despite being industrious and frugal, hard economic times led to and auctioning of Kerr and Roach’s property in 1973. The plot then contained a dwelling house, the Duff store-house lot, and the office lot. This was all purchased by Captain A.E. Hutchinson, making him the principle land owner in downtown Rock Hill at the time.
A failed cotton factory led Captain Hutchinson in 1899 to sell lots to his nephew, Major Andrew Hutchinson White, including a drugstore, a jeweler, the Armory and the Library building. Not included in the sale was the Robertson house, the frame house which had been there since the 1850’s. The Robertson house had throughout the years been a well-known hostelry owned by the Robertson family, the home of Dr. John William Fewell, first mayor of Rock Hill and Bailey’s Tin Shop. A brick building replaced the home after it was destroyed by fire in 1912, serving as the Roddey-Poe Mercantile Company, and in later years, a Belk’s Department Store.
The Rock Hill Record reported on Jan 6, 1908 – “Dr. J.E.W. Haile and family have arrived and are now occupying their home on East Main Street. Dr. Haile has fitted up a nice suite of rooms in the White Building over Bryant’s and Blumberg’s stores, with an entrance from the staircase leading to Dr. Stokes office.” On Feb. 20th, 1908 an ad states he has moved to Standard Drug Company.
The lot next to the Robertson House was leased by Rock Hill’s library association in the 1880’s, and a public library building was completed and dedicated in 1884. The building stood as a landmark until 1952.
Roots and Recall LLC, The City of Rock Hill, The York County Arts Council, & The S.C. Arts Commission which receives support from the National Endowment for the Arts and by a generous award from the John and Susan Bennett Memorial Arts Fund of The Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.