“All street cars stop at Phillip’s…..” The Rock Hill Record, June 9, 1916
City Directories and History: 1908 – Rock hill Drug Co. 109.5 – Life of Va. Insurance, #111 the J.P. Phillips Co., 1917 – Rock Hill Drug Company and J.L. Phillips Drug Company, (111.5) B&L Mechanics, C.A. Mobley, Stewart-Jones Company (contractors), Caro Life
Insurance, 1920 – Office of Dr. W.G. Stevens (111.5), 1922 – J.R. Williams Realty, 1922/23 – RH Drug Co. and D.E. Walker M.D. (#109 East Main Street), @ #111 East Main St. – J.L. Phillips Co., David Lyle M.D., J.R. Williams – Real Estate, and upstairs: W.G. Stevens, W.R. Blackmon, R.E. Sumner, W.E. Simpson, W.F. Strait, 1946 – (109) Stevenson Theatre, J.L. Phillips Drug Company, Ihrie’s Jewelry, David A. Bigger, M.D., W.Gilmore Stevens, M.D., Johnson-Phillips Building; Industrial Life and Health Insurance Company, Magistrate’s Court, Douglas B. Hughes, M.D., Tuberculosis Center, 1963 – Stevenson Theatre, Tollison -Neal Drug Company, Johnston-Phillips Building; RH Beauty Salon.
The Charleston News and Courier reported on June 7, 1890 – “W.B. (Fanik), does a jewelry and watch making business. He has for his competition B.B. Gordon and Co., and George Beach, both of whom are employed in a good trade.”
The Herald of Jan. 11, 1899 in an ad stated, “For M.G. Bryant’s store on Main Street featuring an auction of the jewelry stock of Mr. George Beach, one of Rock Hill’s oldest established jewelry businesses.”
The Herald contained an ad on Jan. 11, 1899 for Dr. I. Simpson and Son, surgeon and dentist with offices over J.B. Johnson’s Drug Store.
The Herald reported on Nov. 10, 1900 – “The ladies of the ARP Church will serve oysters Tuesday night in the basement formerly occupied by J. Henry Toole under the store of the Rock Hill Drug Company.”
The Rock Hill Herald on May 4, 1901 reported that, “Mr. J. Claude Cauthen has been a drug clerk for Haile’s Drug Store of Kershaw for three years but he will now go to Rock Hill where he has a position with the Rock Hill Drug Company.”
The Rock Hill Record on May 2, 1907 – “The J.L. Phillips Drug Co., have installed three handsome glass top tables for their ice cream parlor. The cases are made of mahogany. They are also placing new linoleum throughout the store.”
The RH Record reported on Dec. 5, 1907 – “Capt. W.W. Lewis of Yorkville and Dr. J.P. Hollis have formed a partnership in Rock Hill for the practice of law under the name of Lewis and Hollis, with offices over the Phillips Drug Store.”
The Record reported on April 13, 1908 – “Dr. Fennell and Dr. Young, are having a four room suite of offices fitted up in the basement under the Rock Hill Drug Company.”
The RH Record reported on Jan. 11, 1909 – “The electric light wires created a fire which damaged the store of the RH Drug Company. The rooms of the Piedmont Club are on the second story.”
The Herald contained an ad on Sept. 11, 1914 listed at the same address, #109, “the Rock Hill Drug Company and Johnson – Power Drug Company.”
The McElwee Store ledger of 1915 states that Phillips Drug Store (Mr. Phillips lives at White Street at corner of Oakland – Caldwell), held an account at the store. Charles D. Stowe and Julia held an account at the store also, they lived at #101 Marion St., in the 1913 City Directory. Also at the store was listed John R. Williams, wife Margaret B. (real estate offices) living at 526 North Confederate Street).
The Rock Hill Herald of Aug. 26, 1918 contained an ad from Dr. Dave Lyle stating, “I have moved my office to the offices of Drs. Sumner and Stevens, over the Phillips Drug Store.”
The Record reported on Jan. 21, 1927 – “Saturday morning was the most disastrous fire in downtown Rock Hill in thirty years. It began in the Manhattan Cafe in the rear of the Rock Hill Drug Company, spread to the London Building (Cloud’s Store), the Rock Hill Drug Company and the J.L. Phillips Drug Company. Dr. J.E. Massey lost his instruments and library. The office of Dr. Blackmon, Strait, Massey, Hay, Walker, and Stevens, over the drug store were burned. Lyle Whitner lost all of his office equipment, located over Cloud’s Store. Frank D. Greene, the real estate agent saved the records in his office. John A. Black saved some of the records in his office. Flames endangered the National Union Bank, which also houses the Equitable and other private offices. On the other side, walls of the A. Freidheim and Brothers grew red hot but the fire did not penetrate.”
The Record reported on Jan. 3, 1927 – “A real epic in local business circles is the announcement today of Peter Ihrie from Beach – Ihrie Jewelry Company, which has been operating since 1887. It will be succeeded by Beach – Hearn Jewelry Company (George Beach) at the same location. Mr. E.D. Hearn has been with the old concern for a long time.” (The RH Record reported on Feb. 9, 1904 – That the Beach and Ihrie Jewelry Co., has been incorporated with capital stock of $5,000. George Beach is Pres., and Peter Ihrie is Treasurer. They also reported on March 1, 1904 – a delay in getting glass for the plate windows has postponed the opening of Beach – Ihrie Jewelers, they hope to open within a week.)
The Record reported on April 21, 1927 – “J.E. Healan, contractor, has started work on the new home for J.L. Phillips Drug Company on East Main Street. It will be a two story brick building with a basement. The second floor will have fifteen office spaces for doctors and other professionals. Plans were drawn by A.D. Gilchrist, local architect. ”
The Record reported on April 28, 1927 – “Work began on excavation yesterday for the building to be erected on East Main Street by James S. White, and to be occupied by Peter Ihrie as a jewelry store. (Between Hope’s Store and the Woolworth Building) J.E. Healan has the contract to build the building and plans were drawn by A.D. Gilchrist.”
Alfred D. Gilchrist was born and educated in Manchester, England and came to America in 1900. In 1912 he arrived in Rock Hill and began practicing architecture. Several building can be attributed to him; Ebenezer School – 1921, Stevenson Theater, Oakland Avenue Pres. Church, and several buildings at Winthrop University. His son, William P. Gilchrist worked as a designer and draftsman with the firm. Following WWII, Gilchrist associated with W. Lewis Cook in the firm Gilchrist and Cook. That firm had buildings including: Woodland Un. Methodist Church, Park Baptist Church and homes and schools. Ms. Bessie L. Garrison, Rock Hill Historical Research Papers #10 – 1952.
Also see Lot #2 – North
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.