City Directories and History: 1908 – J.B. Johnson, 1917 – J. B. Johnson, 1922 – J.B. Johnson, 1946 – Mrs. Ida Johnson, 1963 – Mrs. Luciee Rossi, 1975 – William H. Taylor, Gene W. McCormick, 2014 – Social Services
The Herald reported on May 2, 1889 – “That Mr. John T. Roddey has let the contract to W. G. Adams for a ten room house on the lot on Main Street south of the avenue leading to the Graded School.”
The Charleston News and Courier reported on June 7, 1890 – “J.B. Johnson is a large dealer in drugs, oils, paints, cigars, tobacco and onion sets. He occupies a handsome and suitable store opposite the Roddey Building and does a good business.”
The Herald reported on May 30, 1896 – “Dr. J.B. Johnson is erecting on west main street the 72 house which he has built in Rock Hill.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on April 23, 1898 that Mr. J.B. Johnson of Rock Hill has sold his drug business to Mr. Andrew J. Evans and will now devote his time to real estate.
The Rock Hill Herald reported on May 17, 1899 – “Mr. R. Lee Kerr is having some very elaborate improvements made on his attractive residence. A Charlotte paper hanger is now engaged in decorating the dining room.” On Oct. 4, 1899 the Yorkville Enquirer reported on these improvements at the cost of $2,500.”
No better example of the business opportunities offered by the town of Rock Hill is
afforded than in the career of Dr. J. B. Johnson. This gentleman came here from Yorkville, in 1872, a boy of thirteen upon his own resources, and generally speaking, without friends or money. In 1876 he secured a situation in the drug store of Dr. T. C. Robertson, at a salary of $4.50 per month. At that time there was not $500 worth of drugs in the town. Mr. Johnson worked faithfully, and at the end of two years service, were rewarded with a one-third, or working interest, in the business. The senior member of the firm retiring in I860, Dr. Johnson purchased his interest with a “promise to pay” $2,500. He is now free from encumbrances and has acquired considerable property outside. MEN OF THE TIME by J.C. Garlington
“Opposite the Good house on Main Street (southeast corner) stood the large and imposing frame residence of Mr. and Mrs. John T. Roddey, Sr., probably built about 1889. There were several outbuildings on the lot. In later years the R. Lee Kerr family lived there, and still later the J. B. Johnson family occupied the house (the family of Dr. Boney Johnson). This house had a few stained glass windows and the millwork was both expensive and elaborate. An iron fence enclosed the entire lot. The Social Security Office occupied this lot in later years.” [Robbins – White History Tour]
Designed originally by Rock Hill Architect, Hugh Edward White (1869 – 1939), born in Fort Mill, S.C. he attended Fort Mill Academy and started his practice in about 1894. Remained in Rock Hill until about 1903 and later returned to work. In the 1890’s he worked in an architectural firm in Atlanta. Between 1903-1918 he was a field supervisor of the Supt. Architect Dept. of the Treasury. For about three years 1918-21, he was employed with Charles Coker Wilson in Columbia or Gastonia, N.C.
The Rock Hill Journal reported on June 19, 1901 – “Dr. J.B. Johnson is building three four room cottages on East Main Street which will be for rent. He has built about 108 houses for sale and rent in Rock Hill during the last few years.”
The Rock Hill Record reported on Feb. 2, 1904 – “That it is rumored that a compromise has been reached in the lawsuit of J.B. Johnson of this city, for his son Julian, against the Southern Railway, for injuries sustained in the Fishing Creek wreck on Sept. 3, 1903.”
The Rock Hill Herald of Aug. 30, 1918 reported, “Julian B. Johnson, who has been in the mts. of Western NC recuperating has returned home. His condition is greatly improved as a result of his stay.”
The Rock Hill Record reported on Jan. 10, 1927 – “There was a fire on the roof on Sunday of the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Johnson on Confederate Avenue.”
The Herald reported on July 3, 1897 – “S.T. Frew and Co., are erecting a handsome iron fence around the homes of R. Lee Kerr and Mrs. W.M. Frew.”
The McElwee Store ledger stated that Jerome B. Johnson and wife Ida B., (Pres. of RH Drug Co.,) and Julian B. Johnson and his wife Isbell (Sec. of RH Drug Co.), each had accounts at the McElwee Store.
The Herald reported, Oct. 4, 1935, “That Mr. and Mrs. N.O. McDowell moved yesterday from the Moore residence on East Main Street to an apartment in the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Anderson on East Main Street.”
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.