“Constructed in part by A. D. Holler of Rock Hill, S.C. who also supplied a majority of the brick.”
City Directories and History: This is one of a number of pages on Roots and Recall dealing with both Winthrop College and Oakland’s important history. Newspaper articles have been used to help tell the story behind these interesting places. Adding these bits of history is an ongoing process courtesy of R&R’s volunteers.
In 1893, defying the Panic, leading Rock Hill citizens banded together to make a successful bid of $60,000,
34 and a quarter acres, and 375,000 brick for the permanent site of a state college, Winthrop Normal and Industrial College.
City Without Cobwebs
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on March 15, 1893 “the location of the Industrial College for women will soon be decided upon. Proposals from various cities will be taken on March 29th, Rock Hill is in the running and will hold an election on March 27 for bonds of $60,000. to support the college.” (The Yorkville Enquirer also reported that Anderson held an election on issuance of bonds for support of the girls industrial school. The $50,000. issue was defeated by a vote of 146 – 26.)
The Herald reported, Aug., 7, 1895 – “Two (train) car loads of iron bedsteads and bureaus, one car load of straight chair and one of rocking chairs, for the industrial school
(Winthrop College) dormitory, arrived Monday. Yesterday Mr. Stewart had a force of wagons and convicts hauling them to the buildings.”
August 21, 1895 – About 90 convicts are working on the Industrial School (Winthrop College) grounds. Fifty were brought from the state farm in Sumter County.
The Herald reported on Oct. 2, 1895 – “That opening day for Winthrop would be Oct. 15th. The building are ready for the opening. Three hundred and eight-two women have applied for admission to the dorm. However, many will have to board in town for $10. per month. Convicts in the building of the campus and only seventeen remain.”
The Herald reported on April 15, 1896 – “That the RH Hardware Co., has been awared the contract for the fencing at Winthrop College. The fence will be all steel pickets of an ornamental design with very handsome gates. There will be over 4,000 ft., of the fence enclosing the entire thirty acres of the college property. The price to be paid is $1,000. as appropriated by the legislature.”
On April 25, 1896 the Herald stated, “Prof. Berckman, the noted landscape man of Augusta spent Thursday at the Winthrop College looking over the grounds. Upon his return home he will submit to Pres. Johnston a report advising him on how best to proceed toward laying off flower beds, grass plots., etc. Professor Berckman was very much struck with the nature of the soil and the position of the grounds around the college.”
The Herald stated on April 29, 1896 – “Last Sunday morning a most interesting scene was the college girls, marching by two’s in their new spring uniforms to and fro from their church activities. ” (This is believed to be the first Blue Line at WU.)
The Herald reported on July 11, 1896 – “It is expected that work on the Winthrop College Infirmary will start soon.” The convict detail that will do the work is now awaiting at the penitentiary. On Sept. 5, 1896 – “Work has begun on the infirmary – it is 93-42 feet, will contain wards, a doctors office, a nurse office and a medication room. The basement will have servants quarters, a kitchen and storage.
The Herald reported on Aug. 5, 1896 – “Last Friday while the force of convicts at the Winthrop College stockade were engaged in working the streets, surrounding the college grounds, one of the force ran off from his work and although fired upon six times, he was successful in escaping and is still at large.” Aug., 8th the paper reported, “The college convict force has been at work for several days on the street Southeast of the college grounds and have graded, elevated and put it in good condition.” On Aug. 12, 1896 – “The escaped convict has been captured in Forrest City, N.C.”
The Herald also reported on Aug. 5, 1896 – “Examinations were held in Yorkville for four free scholarships to Winthrop College for the next session. There were twenty-five applications from York County. The examiners were: County School Supt., J.A. Shurley, Prof. J.W. Thomson of Rock Hill, and Mr. J. A. Barron. Scholarships were awarded to: Jennie M. Miller of Tirzah, Eva M. Moore of Guthriesville, and Laura Kee and Mary A. Roach of Rock Hill.”
The Herald also reported on Aug. 8, 1896 – “Mr. W. A. Reckling of Columbia has made a life size portrait of Dr. E. S. Joynes, one of the trustees of Winthrop College, which will be sent to Rock Hill to be hung in the college.”
Oct. 21, 1896 “In Oakland on Saturday afternoon Mr. F. D. Black’s colt was frightened by the clanging of the shackles of a gang of convicts and dashed off smashing the vehicle and running into the fruit wagon of Sam Milling, which was standing in its accustomed place in front of the college.”
The Presidents reports to the Board – June 6, 1900 – “We have contracted with A.D. Holler for 700,000 brick. We are getting line from Alabama and orderings cement and sand. We need a better grade brick for he facings than Mr. Holler can provide.”
The Presidents report to the Board – June 6, 1900 – “The northern part of the campus has been graded, new walks laid out and trees set out. The iron fence has been painted and the President’s House re-shingled and painted.”
The Presidents report to the Board – Dec. 7, 1900 – “The land on which the stockade is located has been sold by the RH Land and Town Site Company and that building will need to be moved to the farm.” (This building housed convicts that routinely worked on the campus.)
The Presidents report to the Board – Nov. 25, 1905 – “H.B. Buist, reported the dairy herd has been enlarged in order to supply the needs of a growing student body.”
The Presidents report to the Board – June 5, 1907 – “G.A. Parker, of Hartford Conn., was asked to conduct new landscape designs for the campus. He was willing to conduct the work for the cost of travel.” (Mr. Parker had previously made a map of the entire campus showing the buildings, drives, walks, fences, flower beds and trees.)
The Presidents report to the Board – June 6, 1906 – “Mr. Buist is seeking authority to purchase the property NE of the campus bounded by Oakland Ave., Lancaster Ave., Park Ave., and Cherry Ave., for a price of $5,750., including Mr. W. J. Cherry’s house.”
The President reported to the Board – June 5, 1907 – “The college now owns 9 acres north of the present campus fence out to Oakland Ave., and Lancaster Ave., The whole campus is now 47.5 acres. We need to buy other lots across Lancaster Ave., upon which to place the Greene and Cherry houses. W.J. Roddey has a lot on Lancaster which he will sell.”
The RH Record reported Feb. 3, 1908 – “Ms. Clara B. Strait, daughter of T. J. Strait, now living in Washington, is an artist of the first order and is now engaged in painting a portrait of Senator B.R. Tillman. The portrait is nearly completed and will go to Winthrop College to take the place of the one now of the Senator, which is very poor.”
The Herald reported on July 22, 1919 – “That the film Winthrop Day by Day, has been completed and will be shown on Saturday. It shows campus life.”
The Herald reported on Feb. 20, 1915 – “Work will begin soon on the Winthrop College gym. The legislature has appropriated $30,000. and President Johnson is seeking an additional $30,000., from other sources. Architects, Hook and Rogers have almost completed the plans. The gym will be erected on the athletic field at the rear of the main building and will have a standard size swimming pool.”
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
POSTCARD GALLERY – Courtesy of the Amos and Turner Postcard Collections
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.