City Directories and History: 1896 – J. C. Lindsay Meat Market, 1908 – J.C. Lindsay, and at (#150-152) W. G. Reid and Son, (Wm. G. Reid and J. Edward Reid, Funeral Directors – Furniture – Piano – Sewing Machines), 1917 – Levy Deas Soft Drinks, 1925 – Ladies Shop (Samuel Myerson), 1946 – The Smart Shop, Kartus Shoe Company, (148.5) US Soil and Conservation (#150) Good Drug Store, 1963 – The Smart Shop, and Good Drug Company [The accounting office of James Gettys were also on the second floor over Good Drug Company for many years.]
The Herald reported on Dec. 10, 1919, with a history of this lot. “In Aug. 1904, S.J. Kimball bought it at auction from the Gordon Estate. E.B. Cook later purchased it from S.J. Kimball. Mr. Cook sold the property to A.C. Izard and John T. Roddey. Mr. Izard has recently erected a nice building on this property occupied by the Citizens Bank and Trust.”
The Herald reported on Jan. 24, 1889 – “Mr. J. C. Lindsay has removed his family to Rock Hill and they are occupying the house of Mr. M. Johnson on Hampton Street. Mr. Johnson and his wife are boarding with Mr. J. B. Johnson.”
The Herald reported Aug. 26, 1896 – “Mr. J.C. Lindsay will open a beef market on the Gordon corner on Sept. 1st. ” (Note that the Herald reported on June 13, 1896 – “Mr. W. Melville Burns of Charleston, S.C. has purchased Chaplin’s Meat Market on the corner of Main and Hampton Streets and will open a produce and market stand.”
The Herald reported on Oct. 21, 1896 – “We have quit a number of meat dealers in town now. V. B. McFadden, John Mallard, J. C. Lindsay, and W. M. Steele all have meat markets, and S. Chaplin and John C. White sell from wagons regularly.”
The Herald reported on Sept. 17, 1902 – W.G. Reid and Son have just turned out a neat and substantial delivery wagon for the Palmetto Dairy.”
The Herald reported on Feb. 18, 1903 – “Painters have improved the appearance of Lindsay’s Market at Main and Hampton Streets.”
The RH Herald reported on Nov. 23, 1904 – “George Papademas, a Greek merchant who has been in Charlotte, has moved to Rock Hill and rented a store on Main Street formerly used by J.C. Lindsey as a meat market. He will open with a stock of fruit and home manufactured candies.” On Dec. 7, 1904 the Rock Hill Candy Works is the new firm of George Papademas, located on the corner of East Main and Hampton. The other candy kitchen in Rock Hill is that of Joseph Showman on the corner of Railroad Ave., and East White Street. On Dec. 10, 1904 an ad was run listing the address as #150 East Main Street.”
The Rock Hill Record reported April 15, 1907 – “The Roddey – Crawford building is nearing completion. The sign says W.G. Reid and Son, leading furniture men will occupy the entire building.”
The RH Record reported on May 20, 1907 – “The cement tiling for the vestibules for the Roddey – Crawford building was made and installed by the firm of W.H. Stewart and Son.”
The Record reported on May 6, 1907 – “Overseer Wallace is putting down a rock walk across Main Street from the corner of Lindsays’ Market to the pavement in front of the Catawba Power Company Offices.”
The RH Record reported on July 23, 1908 – “Mr. E. B. Cook has improved the looks of his business by putting in a new store front.”
The RH Record reported on Sept. 24, 1908 – “Mr. J.C. Lindsay has painted new colors on the front of his meat market.”
The Rock Hill Record reported on April 12, 1909 – “Mr. John A Neely, who has been an employee of Roddey Mercantile Co. for seventeen and the chief bookkeeper, has resigned and has bought out Lindsay’s Meat Market, which he will run under the name of Rock Hill Meat Market. In the same issue an add appeared for John Neely’s new meat market and stated he had bought Lindsay’s Meat Market from R.L. Wherry and will operate it at the same location.
The Rock Hill Record reported June 3, 1912 – “Mr. A.C. Izard and Mayor John T. Roddey have bought the corner lot at East Main and Hampton Street from the Cook Brothers. Mr. E.B. Cook placed the lot for sale.”
The Herald reported on Aug 10, 1914 – “That a new store building on Main St., will replace the wooden building formerly occupied by E.B. Cook and known as Cook’s Corner, (Edwin B. Cook and Rosa Cook, grocer at 154 East Main and home 322 East Black St.,) the building will be built by John T. Roddey and A.C. Izard, a one story brick building and will have one store on Main and four store fronts on Hampton.”
The Herald reported on Aug 13, 1914 – “the old building being removed at what is known as Cook’s Corner at Main and Hampton, is said by the old residences of Rock Hill to the be the oldest building in the business section on Main Street. It dates back to the Civil War and was known as Gordon’s Shoe Shop in the early period of the town and was used for that purpose by the well known pioneer citizen of that name who occupied a residence standing where Reid’s store is now located.”
The Herald reported on Feb. 4, 1915 – “A.C. Izard informed the Herald that he will be building a two story building at the corner of Main and Hampton Streets. It will have one store room facing Main and four store spaces on Hampton. The second floor will have ten offices. The building will be 26 feet by 140 feet deep.”
On March 4, 1915 contractor, “W.G. Adams began laying brick on the Izard Building this morning.”
Also see Lot #6 – South
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.