S.S. Elam, an antebellum contractor from Chester, S.C., constructed one of Rock Hill’s earliest homes on this lot, in the mid 1850s.
- Note from Wm. B. White, Jr.’s listing locations of the Rock Hill Post Office. Information was received from Mr. A. Rembert Barrett on June 12, 1969, who based his recollections of information
provided by Buena Wood.
1. West Main Street where C. B. McFadden lived.
2. West Main Street where Marshall Oil Company is located in 1969 and formerly the Rutland House.
3. East Main Street in a frame building next to the Carolina Hotel site.
4. East Main Street in the Rock Hill Hardware building (1889)
5. East Main Street where Tuckers Jewelry Store was located.
6. Temporary site on Hampton Street from 1905-1906, where First Federal Building and Loan was later located.
7. Corner of Caldwell and Main. Two buildings constructed in 1905 and 1931.
8. Corner West Black Street and Wilson Street.
City Directories and History: 1908 – Ms. Sarah Roach (Teacher), Nellie Roach, Mary Roach (Teacher – Central School), all living at 114 Caldwell Street.
Henry Ferguson Broach was appointed postmaster by the United States Post Office Department on April 17, 1852, the date chosen in 1852 by the City of Rock Hill as its birthday—its formal entrance upon the state of South Carolina history. 1 It was the custom of the Yorkville Miscellany to carry in its columns each month a list of all the post offices in York District (or County). As late as the issue of April 17, 1852, there was no entry for Rock Hill. But the name of the new post office appeared in column 5 of page 4 of the issue for May 15, 1852.
We record herewith the names of succeeding postmasters at Rock Hill (also spelled Rockhill) from 1896 to 1912:
Benjamin Franklin Rawlinson — November 4, 1858
James A. Ferguson- November 13, 1858 [Civil War interim]
Julius Maitland Martin — September 15, 1865
(Miss) Mariah Rutland — May 18, 1866
John Lycan (also Lykin) Watson — April 26, 1869
William Kerr — April 18, 1870
Ms. Buena Vista Wood — February 19, 1873 – ***The Yorkville Enquirer reported on Jan. 20, 1892 – “Ms. B.V. Wood was removed from her position as Postmaster and Col. C.J. Pride was put in her place. She had held the position since 1873.”
Cadwallader Jones Pride — January 28, 1892 – ***The Yorkville Enquirer reported on March 2, 1892 – “Col. C.J. Pride is now taking over as Postmaster and has hired William Whyte as his assistant.”
Edgar E. Poag —January 15, 1896
Cadwallader Jones Pride — January 25, 1900
Edgar E. Poag – February 1, 1904
Vincent Brown McFadden — March 15, 1916
Andrew Rembert Barrett — July 22. 1924 (Along the Landsford Road, by Wm. B. White, Jr. Vol., I – 2008)
The Herald reported on March 3, 1900 – “Col. C.J. Pride has received his commission as Postmaster of Rock Hill. Mr. E.E. Poag will turn the office over to him but will remain as deputy.”
The Herald reported on June 21, 1902 – “That the Federal Government issued an official notice for proposals to sell to the government a site for a new federal building.” The Herald reported on July 16th, that “a bid was submitted for sale of a lot for the federal building by J.J. Roach for a lot of 100 ft fronting main street and 135 ft fronting Caldwell Street.”
The Herald reported on Nov. 22, 1902 – “The lot has been selected for the new Federal Building and is at the NE Corner of Main and Caldwell Streets. It was bought from the Misses Roach for $5,500., the lot is 129 – 135 ft.”
The Herald reported on Feb. 4, 1903 – “Architect White is drawing plans for a two story dwelling to be erected for the Misses Roach.”
The Herald reported on July 18, 1903 – “That contractor S.A. Clark is erecting a nine room house for the Messes Roach on Caldwell Street for $2,000. and a five room cottage on Academy for Mr. John A. Steele for $1,400; a six room cottage for Mrs. L. A. Barron on Park Avenue for $10147.00; an eight room cottage for W.B. Wilson, Jr., at the corner of Aiken and Charlotte for $1,500; a nine room dwelling for Mr. J. Lon Moore on Oakland Avenue $1,900. Also Mr. M.B. Massey is to erect an eight room house on East Wilson for about $1,750. and plans are being drawn for an eight room dwelling for Dr. W.A. Pressley on South Johnston to cost about $1,800.” Also at that time the Herald reported S.A. Clark on July 11, 1903 – Mr. Clark has the contract to erect a nine room two story dwelling for Ms. Fannie Moore on Oakland Avenue. (Location is unknown.)
On May 6, 1903 the Herald reported, “The Misses Roach have let a contract to Mr. S.A. Clark for the building of their residence to be erected on Caldwell Street on the lot adjacent to the PO site. The home will be square with eight large rooms. The old home residence of the Misses Roach has been sold to Mr. J.T. Roddey, but they will continue to occupy it until the government needs the lot.”
The Rock Hill Herald reported on Oct. 1903 – “Mr. L.S. Benham had the contract for numbering the houses in Rock Hill and placing street signs. He has numbered 961 houses at a cost of $216.22, a cost covered by home owners, seventy street signs were erected at a cost $153.12, a cost covered by the City of Rock Hill. This does not include houses in either Arcade and Victoria villages and some in Highland Park. The City is now ready for free mail delivery.”
The Rock Hill Record reported on May 20, 1904 – “That E.E. Poag, Postmaster, has received a letter from the Federal Government reporting that sketch plans for the new post office building have been approve and the working drawings have been started.”
Lots 9 and 10 North—Owing to the relocation of the twenty-foot alley on the north side of Main Street, it was necessary to use most of Lot 9 for what became Caldwell Street in later years. At the direction of A. T. Black, thirty-three feet of Lot 9 became a part of Lot 10 as originally laid out in 1851. Since Lot 10 was intended to be 103’ in width, the total front footage of the redrawn lot was 136’. This lot of 136’ was then divided into two lots, each measuring 68’ x 212’. The portion next to the cross alley (the western half) was sold by A. T. Black between 1852 and 1854 to Hugh Simpson of Chester District, S. C., who probably built a small residence on the lot. No deed for this transaction was recorded. In 1902 when the Roach family wanted to sell the property to the United States government (it was to be the site of the new building for the post office in Rock Hill), Dr. Isaiah Simpson, son of the late Hugh Simpson, offered a quit-claim deed in order to clear the title. The document he produced bore the date December 10, 1869. It was recorded in Yorkville on December 8, 1902. In this deed A. T. Black confirmed his sale of the lot to ‘Squire Hugh Simpson, a cabinet maker, in the 1850’s and then deeded the same property to Dr. Isaiah Simpson. The consideration in 1869 was $65. On February 22, 1870, Dr. Isaiah Simpson sold this lot of 68’ to John J. Roach for $500. Mr. Roach had just moved to Rock Hill and soon went into partnership with Colonel J. M. Ivy, cotton merchant.
We come now to the second (or eastern) half of the lot of 136’ mentioned above. In the 1850’s Silas Shelby Elam of Chester District, S. C., purchased the lot from A. T. Black and proceeded to build on the property, with his own hands, a frame house of undetermined size. In order to finance the construction, Elam mortgaged the property to the firm of Roddey & Company (the partners of which were David C. Roddey, brother of Captain W. L. Roddey; Joseph Wylie, uncle of Captain Roddey; and T. Henry Moffatt, wealthy merchant and planter of Chester District). When S. S. Elam was unable to pay off his debts, the mortgage was foreclosed. Then on October 15, 1866, the new owners sold the lot to John J. Roach, for $400. Thus Mr. Roach became the sole owner of the redrawn lots, which, as stated measured 136’ in front and 212’ in depth. His family continued to live there for many years to come. The writer has an old photograph of the Roach house, a two-story frame structure. Whether Mr. Roach built a new house when he bought the property or whether he enlarged the house that Elam built we have no way of knowing now.
We do know, however, that Mr. Roach’s heirs, his daughters (Emma J. Roach, Nellie R. Roach, Mary A. Roach, and Margaret H. Roach), sold the house and the land it stood on to the United States of America on April 25, 1903, the site to be used for erecting a new post office building. The Roach house was torn down. The family built a new house on the rear portion of the same lot, but this house faced Caldwell Street.
Twenty-seven years later, the U. S. Post Office Department, needing additional space, instituted proceedings to acquire the Roach house and the land where it stood. It appears that the family balked this time. But the Federal Government won. The property was condemned at a valuation of $21,300. The house was then rolled from its foundation to a lot on the newly opened St. John’s Court, some hundreds of feet to the east of the Caldwell Street location. After the death of the last member of the family, Miss Margaret Adams Chreitzberg, the
house was sold and then demolished. The lot on which it stood is now a part of the parking lot of St. John’s Methodist Church.
Perhaps we should record here that the post office built on the Roach lot in 1905-06 was itself moved from Main Street to a site on Oakland Avenue next door to St. John’s Methodist church. A well-known house-moving contractor from Charlotte, N. C., D. B. Stearnes, received the contract to move the large, ponderous brick and granite structure to its new lot about 1930, when the Federal Government decided to erect a new and larger post office building, with space for the Federal courtroom on the second floor. Older Rock Hillians stood in admiration of Mr. Stearnes’ considerable talents. They always said that the moved the old post office building without even cracking the plastering. And the writer may also mention that, while Mr. Stearnes was living in Rock Hill at that time, he had a room and took his meals at the home of the late Miss Mattie R. White, great-aunt of the writer, who himself has no personal memories of the experience, since he was only one year old at the time.
Click on the More Information > link found below the picture column for additional data. Click on Laurelwood Cemetery Tours for J.J. Roach’s gravesite.
[Information provided via Along the Land’s Ford Road – Vol. I, 2008 by William B. White, Jr.]
The SC Architects: 1885 – 1935, Wells and Dalton, 1992 state, “the 1931 Post Office and Federal Building in Rock Hill was designed by James A. Wetmore in 1931 at a cost of $275,000.”
The Herald reported on April 29, 1903 – “That the Roach lot was purchased today for the US Post Office building. The amount paid was $5,500.”
The Herald reported on June 4, 1931 – “That bids have been opened in Washington DC for the new Federal Building in Rock Hill. The low bidder is Batson – Cook Company of Westpoint, Ga., at a bid of $175,773.”
The Herald reported on July 4, 1931 – “Mr. S.L. Hodge is here with Batson – Cook Company to oversee the construction of the Federal Building.”
The Herald reported on July 24, 1931 – “Work on excavating the new post office building, which will stand on the site formerly occupied by the new library building is progressing satisfactorily.”
History of the Rock Hill Post Office: This was an article in the Herald on May 29, 1931 provided as part of an advertisement for People’s National Bank, the information from Buena Wood due to the first day the Post Office was being operated on a temporary basis on Hampton Street as the new Federal Building (Gettys Center) was being constructed.
“The first PO in Rock Hill was on Trade Street, where the A&P Grocery store is now (1931), Mr. Ferguson was Post Master. The next site was on West Main Street, on the lot now occupied by Marshall Oil Company in 1931. The Post Mistress was Maria Rutland. The PO then moved to Ratterree’s Corner on the spot now occupied (1931) by Hood Clothing Company. Col. William Kerr was Post Master. The next site was on Main Street in a building adjacent to W.L. Roddey and Company. A fire destroyed this building and it was then moved to the Roddey Hotel. Miss Buena Wood was then Post Mistress. The PO then moved to one of Mr. Roddey’s storerooms now occupied by Rock Hill Hardware Company in 1931. Col. Cad J. Pride was the Post Master. The next site was on Main Street in the White Property, now partly occupied by the Merritt Shoe Company in 1931. The next Post Master was E.E. Poag. In 1906 the present PO on the corner of Main and Caldwell was built, following Mr. Poag, post master have been; V.B. McFadden, E.E. Poag and A.R. Barrett. Temporary quarters for the PO are now in the Barber – Sykes Building on Hampton Street opposite the City Hall.”
Buena Wood – Author
Click HOME to return to the numbered site tour of Rock Hill’s downtown.
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.