This Building Has History ™
Name: Old Central Newsstand
Originally located on this lot was the Ferguson Barber home, followed by a frame store. In an auction reported by the Herald in 1919, the lot was sold by the People’s Trust Company along with three other lots, described as the Barber corner. The corner lot was purchased by B.J. White, and to total proceeds for the sale was $53,903.
By 1925, the property was owned by C.L. Cobb, and housed a filling station, known as Victory Station. The Herald reported a change of management by the Standard Oil Company in 1925, when Rogers Black was put in charge. Under Black, the old Victory Station was demolished, and a new service station was built. In 1932, it was reported that the property had been leased from the Marshall Oil Company by A. Bynum Poe, and that it would continue to operate under the name Victory Service Station.
In the 1980’s, this lot was the location of a newsstand. Throughout the years, this corner was a popular site to gather and watch Rock Hill’s Christmas parades. In 2015 the Newsstand – Books and Records store, opened for business on this site.
Roots and Recall LLC, The City of Rock Hill, The York County Arts Council, & The S.C. Arts Commission which receives support from the National Endowment for the Arts and by a generous award from the John and Susan Bennett Memorial Arts Fund of The Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.