City Directories and History: One of the central buildings in the town of Lando remains the old company store and post office building which now serves as the Lando History Center. A planned visit to the center is well worth a trip. Many of Lando’s old mill homes have been destroyed but a few remain and the owners of the area are truly interested in preservation efforts.
Historically, the site of the mill was once called White’s Mill, not to be confused with the Revolutionary era White’s mill in York County, SC. This mill seat eventually became the location of the Heath’s Manetta Mill company and store. One of the older homes and the one sitting at the top of the hill overlooking the mill seat is perhaps the oldest in the village. It remains in remarkable condition and may date to shortly after the Civil War. The house is one the corner of Barber (named for mill owner F.H. Barber of Rock Hill) and Lando Road.
“In the north-eastern part of Chester County sometime before 1770, a Scotch- lrish family of Whites came from Pennsylvania and settled near Fishing Creek and built a grist mill. The area became known as White’s Mill. In 1844, Major Eaves bought the plantation and mill. In 1870 Alexander Williford bought the property which consisted of a saw-mill, a grist-mill and some houses in a ddition to the land. In 1879 F.H. Barber bought the property and in 1880 organized the Fishing Creek Manufacturing Company, a yarn mill. Families moved in anc there was a post office. Stores, a ginnery and warehouses were built. A Methodist Church was built. In 1884 the mill went into bankruptcy. After it was reorganized the name was changed to Lewisville Mills. In 1889, Colonel Benjamin Dawson Heath bought the estate of Lewisville Mills and ii 1890 Manetta Mill was incorporated.”
(Information in part from: Chester County Heritage Book, Vol. I, Edt. by Collins – Knox, Published by the Chester Co Hist. Society – Jostens Printing, 1982)
The Rock Hill Record carried news from Edgemoor in its March 16, 1908 addition, it reported, “Edmond Moore, also known Edmond Eaves, died at Mrs. Robinson’s place. He was born in 1824 and was bought by Starr Moore of Yorkville at at the age of one year. He was later sold to Major Eaves of Chester when he was fifteen. He went to the Mexican War with Major Eaves and also in the Confederate army with Major Eaves. He was sent home from the war to run the (grist) mill at Fishing Creek, where Lando stands at present. He also ran a mill near Smith’s Turnout on the South Fork of Fishing Creek, for the late widow of Mr. Julius Mills. Edmond was a great mill and an honest and straight forward man. He turned his work over to his son, William, several years ago.”
The Herald reported on Jan. 25, 1883 – “That the Chester Bulletin of last Friday states that Mr. Erskine Moffatt, machinist in Chester, finished putting in an 80 HP boiler at the Fishing Creek Cotton Mill. There are plans for more spindles and looms. The Board of Directors reports the factory is doing a good business and is being managed by Mr. Barber. It is probable that a new post office will soon be established at the factory.”
The Rock Hill Herald reported on April 11, 1896 – “The Lewisville Mill in Chester Co., formally known as the Fishing Creek Mill, has been sold to Mr. B.D. Heath of Charlotte. Mr. F. H. Barber, Pres., is selling it in order to save all his lands and other real estate which had been pledged for the liabilities of the mill. The Lewisville Mill is well constructed and has ample water power. It has 5,000 spindles and recently the whole output has been #20 yarn. There are about sixty five operatives.”
“One is the Fishing Creek Cotton Factory of which Capt. F.H. Barber is president; the other, the Cedar Shoals Factory, of which Capt. O. Barber is president. The Fishing Creek Factory is one of the best equipped cotton mills in the State, and at the late meeting of the stockholders declared a handsome dividend. The success of these mills has led to the discussion of the advisability of building a cotton factory at this place.” Reprinted from South Carolina in the 1880s: A Gazetteer by J.H. Moore, Sandlapper Publishing Company – 1989
The Herald reported on March 26, 1902 – “That the Manetta Mills in Lando are very prosperous. A new building will be erected soon with additional spindles. Work on the Edgemoor and Manetta railroad will begin soon.”
The Rock Hill Record reported on April 1, 1904 – “A recent fire at the mill at Lando, resulted in closing of the mill. Repairs are underway, and the mill will reopen soon. All hands thrown out of employment on account of the fire have been put on half pay with no house rent while ideal.”
The Record reported on Dec. 30, 1907 – “The Manetta Mills will be enlarged, workers have begun digging the foundation to enlarge #2. The new addition will be 100-125 ft., and will be three stories. It will contain carding, spinning, and weaving. The Manetta Mill will be nearly as large as any mill in S.C.”
The Record reported on April 13, 1908 – “Haddon Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Mitchell of this city, broke his leg. He works at the Steele Mineral Springs Bottling works. He feel from a wagon while making a delivery of a load of crates to Lando. He was taken to the home of Dr. J.N. Gaston for treatment. Later Mr. Woods Steele went down and brought him home in a surrey.”
The Record reported on Aug. 20, 1908 – “A new addition to the Manetta Mills in Lando, which has been under construction for the past few months, is now completed and ready for the machinery which will be installed as soon as it arrives.”
Informative link: Ferguson Barber and click on the LANDO HERITAGE MAP FOR DETAILS
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
White’s Mill via Boyd’s 1818 Survey: See enlargement this page.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.