City Directories and History: “Carroll Hill is situated on Buncombe Road in Edgefield and for over a century its occupants have been associated with the greatness of Edgefield. The house was built by Chancellor James Parsons Carroll in 1840. It was eventually owned by General R. G. M. Dunovant and his wife, Ellen Brooks Duno- vant. The latter was a niece of Chancellor Carroll. The present owners are Dr. and Mrs. Raymond Buist Dunovant. General Dunovant was in command of State troops on Morris Island at the outbreak of the War Between the States. When the Federals returned the first fire from Fort Sumter, the first cannon ball was retrieved by General Dunovant and brought to his Edgefield home.
One of the most beautiful features of “Carroll Hill” is the winding stairway at the rear of the main hall that runs through the house.”
Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC
As early as 1787, the village green near Court House Square was deeded to the town of Edgefield. Several significant buildings surrounding the landscaped square remain unaltered, and the initial layout of the town has not changed. More than forty nineteenth-century buildings are within the historic area, three of which are house museums. There are a number of nineteenth- century Greek Revival homes with large central halls and the basic four-rooms-over-four floor plan. Many of Edgefield’s houses are noted for beautiful Federal style fanlights and unusual doorways, and many have heart pine floors, board or plaster walls, central medallions, window boxing, wainscoting and six-panel doors. A few retain original trompe l’oeil to simulate wood grains finer than that available in the area. Other district properties include Victorian influenced homes and downtown commercial buildings. Five churches represent the Georgian, Victorian Gothic, and modified Gothic architectural styles. Much of Edgefield’s significance results from its large number of important government figures: ten former South Carolina governors; five lieutenant governors; and several U.S. Congressmen and Senators. Edgefield is also known for its military history. During the American Revolution the town was vital due to its location on the route between British strongholds Augusta and Ninety-Six. Local figures also participated in the Mexican War, Civil War and Spanish American War, and during Reconstruction local leaders staged organizational meetings here. Listed in the National Register March 23, 1972.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Edgefield Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Membership in R&R
Stay connected with R&R, “Explore S.C. history, houses, & family stories…” Sign up for a R&R membership. Members receive the “From the Porch” blog, updates on regional topics, and targeted notifications of their choice. Membership also includes travel opportunities: Carolina DeJaunts. Login and prioritize your specific points of family history and enthusiasm: R&R Login.
User comments welcome – post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.