City Directories and History: The Gaffney Depot and its link to the railroad and textile mills was an integral part of the economic viability of the region.
Fueling stations for the locomotives were a necessity and each required a designating name in order that fuel and other materials vital to the operation of the system could be dispatched to that location. The names of the stations were usually derived from a family prominent in the area, some notable landmark, or a historical site nearby. In 1804 a young man from Granard, County Longford, Ireland, Michael Gaffney established his home and combination store and tavern at the junction of the Virginia-Georgia road, which approximated present day Highway 29, and the Mills Gap road. Michael died in 1854 leaving substantial holdings, a large family, and his wife Mary “Polly” Smith Gaffney who lived to see the arrival of the Iron Horse in 1872. Before the Revolutionary War until the coming of that marvel of transportation, the social, cultural, and religious life of the immediate area centered around the Limestone Springs settlement which consisted of a large hotel, later to become Limestone College, several businesses, a post office and many fine homes, one of which was the summer home of Governor David Johnson, all situated about one and one half miles from Gaffney’s Cross Roads. Prior to the formation of the county a large area of northeastern Spartanburg County formed a township known as Limestone Springs which included the famous resort. Thus happenings of some distance away are sometimes erroneously construed to have occurred in the immediate area of the resort. With the coming of the railway, businesses and those erecting new homes tended to move toward the new center of transportation. Sensing this inclination, the Gaffney family had lots, streets, and alleys surveyed and a small city laid out on the plan of Philadelphia with streets running parallel to each other and each block containing two alleys that intersected at the center of each block. On September 7, 1873, an auction of the lots was conducted and the formation of Gaffney City, as it was first called, was on its way.
(Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC)
Membership in R&R
Stay connected with R&R, “Explore S.C. history, houses, & family stories…” Sign up for a R&R membership. Members receive the “From the Porch” blog, updates on regional topics, and targeted notifications of their choice. Membership also includes travel opportunities: Carolina DeJaunts. Login and prioritize your specific points of family history and enthusiasm: R&R Login.
User comments welcome – post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.