City Directories and History: Click on the MORE INFORMATION link, found under the primary picture, to see an enlargeable postal maps of the county Post Office locations in 1896. Enter the specific name in R&R’s search box to locate additional information on each of these locations found on R&R’s pages. (Old Postal Maps – Sumter County, S.C.)
LIST OF LOCATIONS:
|Hagood (Originally Sander’s Depot)|
Membership in R&R
Stay connected with R&R, “Explore S.C. history, historic houses, & family stories…” Sign up for a R&R membership. Members receive the “From the Porch” blog, updates on regional topics, and targeted notifications of their choice. Membership also includes travel opportunities: Carolina DeJaunts. Login and prioritize your specific points of enthusiasm: R&R Login.
User comments welcome – post at the bottom of this page.
William Sanders traded with the Indians along the Catawba Path, and it was he who gave names to the creeks that he crossed—names they still bear. Rafting Creek, along whose waters he took up his grant of land, was so named because he found it necessary to build a raft to transport his goods. Beech Creek is said to have been named for a handsome beech tree on its bank. He named Swift Creek to describe the stream itself, and Pine Tree Creek (just below present-day Camden) because it was crossed by means of a huge pine log. Sanders Creek, just north of Camden, he named for himself. The last two names appear on a map of Fredricksburgh made in 1734. William Sanders established his plantation on the Indian path, later to become the “great road” to Charles Town.
This road, S. C. 261, is still called the King’s Highway. The history of the community which he founded is the history of the Sanders family, for even today almost every white inhabitant of the neighborhood is his descendant, and almost every acre of land is owned by a descendant. The very name Hagood is relatively new, having been adopted during the administration of Governor Johnson Hagood to avoid confusion with another train station. Until that time, the station, dating from 1848, was known as Sanders Depot. Later settlements were established nearby, and took the names of their founding families, viz: Boykin to the north and Rembert to the east. Horatio, three miles to the south, was named for Horatio LeNoir, Esq. Further south is Stateburg, in the High Hills of the Santee.
William Sanders’ home, known until recently as Oakland, was extensively remodeled before the Civil War by William Sanders V. On April 19, 1865, Potter’s raiders fired a twelve-pouncl shot through the second story. The cannon ball is still in the house, now the property of Mrs. Frances P. Alston whose grandson, Rowland Alston, is a ninth- generation descendant of the original William Sanders. The house stands today because of the beauty of Georgia Sanders, daughter of William V. She begged the Union commander to spare her home, and he was so smitten that he not only complied with her request, but returned after the war to pay suit. Too late! She had married a Southerner. Other legends surround the house, the most persistent of which describes the appearances of the ghost of William Sanders IV, who slashed his own throat when his favorite daughter eloped with a “notorious evil liver,” then regretted his deed and died crying for someone to save him.”
(Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC)
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.