Colonel Cole Drive
City Directories and History: (Rice Hope Plantation, Black River; International Paper Company House) Black River Plantation House is a significant example of Neo-Classical Revival style of architecture in Georgetown County. Built in 1919 by James A. Waddell, it stands on a high bluff at the apex of a hairpin turn in the Black River north of Georgetown and commands a superb view of the river and old rice fields along its banks. The land upon which the house stands has historically been known as Rice Hope Plantation, Black River.
In front of the house on the riverbanks is Post Foot Landing at which Waddell built a cement dock with brick steps leading up the bank to the front lawn of the house. The house is two and one-half story house clad in weatherboard, with a hipped roof with a ridge and four external brick chimneys. The riverside façade is considered the front elevation. The portico is supported by four massive wooden columns with Corinthian capitals. A semi-circular fanlight appears in the pediment. The roof of each of the sun porches is surrounded by a wooden baluster and rail. The interior is appointed with finely detailed architectural components manufactured by the Miller Manufacturing Company of Richmond, VA. The house served as a single family dwelling until it was purchased by the International Paper Company in 1942, after which it was used by company employees and guests as a resort. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1994. [Courtesy of the SC Dept. of Archives and History]
“Rice Hope plantation has a name that needs no explanation. The lands there apparently held promise of good rice harvests. Included in the estate now is Retreat, a plantation situated about midway between Winyah Bay and North Santee River and thus somewhat back from places on both shores—in such manner a retreat. Also included in Rice Hope property are the plantations of: White Oak—named for white oak trees growing there; Legrange—believed to be named for a place in France; and Fawn Hill—named probably for the many young deer usually found there.
Hopsewee plantation, where Thomas Lynch, Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was born, is one of the oldest, most historic homes in Georgetown county, yet the writer has been unable to leam the meaning of the word “hopsewee,” which undoubtedly is of Indian origin. This territory once was inhabited by the Santee Indians. It would be interesting to learn the significance of the name if anyone is able to shed light on the matter.”
Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.