City Directories and History: Architect, Mr. Robert Mills was hired by the State of S.C. to create accurate maps of the state’s districts. In turn, he employed knowledgeable surveyors to survey the local areas, from which he created his finished maps of S.C., districts or counties. This resulted in accurate maps of roads, streams, and cities located in each. Click on the More Information / Enlargeable links, (found under the picture column), for an enlargeable county map, a history of Robert Mill’s survey of S.C. counties, written by Gene Waddell in 1980, an index to the names listed on the maps, and enlargeable quadrants for conducting in depth research.
“Henry Gray was paid $700 on 18 December, 1818, for the map of Laurens District; this amount was near the mean of $1.00 per square mile since this district contains 720 square miles. No manuscript map is known to survive. John Harllee (c. 1790-1870) signed a receipt for $700 on 16 December, 1819, and it is marked “for the map of the State for Williamsburg District.” The manuscript of this district eJso has “Jno. Harllee. The Atlas map incorrectly has “L Harlee.” John was the son of Thomas Harllee, the surveyor who will be considered next, and he was also the grandson of a surveyor; as in other professions during the 18th and early 19th centuries, sons still frequently followed the example of their fathers. John was about thirty at the time, and he had probably not studied with any surveyor except his father because his manuscript, although probably accurate, has the same crude embellishments such as scribbled lines and muddy watercolors to indicate marshes.” Information from: Mill’s Atlas of South Carolina – 1825, Southern Historical Press, 1980
R&R has also taken individual county maps and created a list of their recorded sites, allowing R&R’s users, faster access to historic data. Each of the More Information links opens items connected to the Mill’s map of this county. The last four are those related to Quadrants 1-4. Names within each quadrant are listed below but they are also listed as an entire group. Note that they are each listed but may also have been found in additional counties, thus the abbreviations behind the name indicate where else within S.C. the name also appears. Another excellent website to view the Mill’s maps is at Rumsey’s Maps.
Scroll down to view the sectional lists.
|Map Section #1||Map Section #2||Map Section #3||Map Section #4|
|1||Abbeville – A, E, Lau, P||2||Anderson, Dr. – Lau||3||Allen’s – Lau||4||Adair – Lau|
|1||Abercrombie – Lau||2||Anderson’s Mill – Lau||3||Beaver Dam Creek – Ch, E (2), Gr (2), Lau,||4||Armstrong – Gr, Lau, N, P, Su|
|1||Abercdombie’s Mill – Lau||2||Anderson’s – Lau||3||Cantrill – Lau||4||Bailey – Cha, Co, Lau|
|1||Allen – Lau||2||Ball’s Mill – Lau||3||Cantrill’s Mill – Lau||4||Beesley, Ent. – Lau|
|1||Arnold Mill – A, Gr, Lau||2||Belfast P.O. – Lau||3||Clark – Cha, Ch’f, Co, E, Gr, Lan, Lau,||4||Bird Ent. – Ba, Lan, Lau, Mar|
|1||Bell – Lau||2||Black – A, Ch’f, Co (2), H, Lau||3||Coker – Lau||4||Bird’s Mountain – Lau|
|1||Big Mulberry Creek – A, Lau||2||Black’s Mill – Lau||3||Cooper – Ba, Cha (2), Lau, O, Sp||4||Boyd – Lau (4), Lex, N, Su|
|1||Boyd’s Mill – Lau, N||2||Bowen – Lau||3||Cooper Mill – Lau, O, Sp||4||Bush River – Lau|
|1||Broad Mouth Creek||2||Brown – Lau||3||Curry – Ch’f, Lau||4||Comer of Lauren’s and Newberry – Lau (2)|
|1||Burrows – Lau, W (2)||2||Burnside – Lau||3||Deen – Lau||4||Creswell – Lau|
|1||Clardy – H, Lau||2||Camp Creek – A, H, K, Lan, Lau, P||3||Durbans Creek – Gr, Lau||4||Duncan’s Creek – Lau, N|
|1||Clardy’s Ent. – Lau||2||Cave Creek – Lau||3||Ennoree River – Gr, Lau, N (2), Sp (2), U||4||Dunklin’s P.O. – Lau|
|1||Comer of Lauren’s and Greenville – Lau (2)||2||Chiles Ferry – A, Lau||3||Gladwell – Lau||4||Dunlap’s Store and P.O.|
|1||Cunningham, S. – Lau||3||Governer’s Shoals – Lau||4||Elisha’s Creek|
|1||Durough – Lau||Cooks, P. Ent. – Lau||3||Hammond – Lau, Lex||4||Elisher’s Creek – Lau|
|1||Gain’s Bridge – A, Lau||2||Creswell’s Store – Lau||3||High Land – Lau||4||Elmore’s, HuntingtonOld Place – Lau|
|1||Gain’s Ent. – Lau||2||Freeman – Cha, Lau||3||Laurensville – Lau||4||Elmore’s P.O. – Lau|
|1||Great Falls to this Navigable – Lau||2||Hall – Ch, K, Lau (2), N, O, Su||3||Mackey Mill Falls – Lau||4||Foster – Cha, Lau, N, Sp|
|1||Greenville – Gr, Lau, P, Sp||2||James – Lau||3||Mackey’s Mill – Lau||4||Foster’s Mill – Lau|
|1||Horse Creek – F, Gr, Lau, R, Su||2||Legon, P. – Lau||3||Mountain Shoal – Lau||4||Garrett – Lau, U|
|1||Hudgins – Lau||2||Little River – A (2), F, H, Lau, Lex, N, P, R,||3||Road to Greenville – Lau||4||Garrett’s Mill – Lau|
|1||Johnson’s Mill – A (2), Lau||2||Madden – Lau||3||Scuffle Town P.O. – Lau||4||Gordon – Ch’f, Ge, Lau, Mar’b, W (2)|
|1||Killingworth – Lau||2||Mayson – A, Lau||3||Spartanburgh – Gr, Lau, Sp, U, Y||4||Gordon’s Mill Falls – Lau|
|1||King’s Chapel Muster House – Lau||2||Mayson’s Creek – A, Lau||3||To Cross Road – Lau||4||Head’s Ford – Lau, Sp|
|1||Kinman – Lau||2||Mayson’s Mill – A, Lau||3||To Mountain Shoal – Lau||4||Holland – Gr, K, Lau, P|
|1||Kinman’s Ferry – Lau||2||Moore – (3), Lau, Sp||3||To Scuffle Town P.O. – Lau||4||Huntsville – Lau|
|1||Knight – Ch’f, Lau||2||Mudlick Creek||3||Todd – Ch’f, H (3), Lau||4||Hurricane M.H. – Lau|
|1||Knight’s Mill – Lau||2||Neily – Lau||3||Warrior Creek – Lau||4||Indian Creek – Ch’f, Lau, N (2)|
|1||Line Creek – Gr, Lau||2||Neily’s Ferry – Lau||3||Wright Ent. – A, Lau, N, Su, U||4||Jones’ Ford – Lau, U|
|1||Little Mulberry Creek – A, Lau (2), N||2||Newberry – Lau||3||Young’s P.O. – Lau||4||Knights Mill #2 – Lau|
|1||Mayhon – Lau||2||Niswonger – Lau||4||Liberty Hill – E, Lau, N|
|1||McNeis – Lau||2||Niswonger’s Mill – Lau||4||Line between Spartanburgh and Union – Lau,|
|1||Milner – Lau||2||Quorum Knob – Lau||4||Little Mt. Creek – Lau|
|1||Mitchell’s Mill – Lau||2||Richardson – Be, Ch, £, Lau, N, O, Su||4||Little’s – Lau, U|
|1||North Fork – Lau||2||Road to Abbeville – Lau||4||Lynch – Lau, W|
|1||Pinson – Lau||2||Simpson – Cha, Ch, H, Lau, P||4||Mayberry – Lau|
|1||Pinsons Ford – Lau||2||Simpson, Dr. – Lau||4||Musgrove’s Ford – Lau|
|1||Reaburn’s Creek – Lan, Lau||2||Smith and Graham’s Bridge – Lau||4||Odell – Lau|
|1||Reedy Fork – Gr, Lau (2)||2||Swancey – A, Lau||4||Odell’s Ford – Lau|
|1||Rutledge – A, Cha (2), Lau||2||Swaneey’s Ferry – A, Lau||4||Old Ninety Six Road – Lau|
|1||Rutledge’s Ford – A, Lau||2||To the Dividing Line Road – Lau||4||Ross – Lan, Lau (2)|
|1||Saluda River – A, E (3), Gr, Lau (2), Lex||2||Vaughan – Gr, Lau, N, Su (2)||4||Sandy Ford – Lau, Sp|
|1||Saxon – A, Lau||2||Wallace – Lau||4||To Dunklin’s P.O. – Lau|
|1||South Fork – Lau (2), Lex, N (2), P (5)||2||Williams – Lau||4||To Huntsville – Lau|
|1||Stephen – Lau, N||2||Young – A, Ba, Ch, Co, Gr, K, Lau, O, U||4||To the Cross Road – Lau (2)|
|1||To Laurensville – Lau (2)||2||Young, J. – Lau||4||Vance, P. Ent. – Lau|
|1||To Young’s Ferry – Lau||2||Young’s Ferry – A, Lau||4||West – Lau, Sp (2), Su|
|1||Tumbling Shoals – Lau||4||West Mills – Lau, Sp|
|1||Turkey Creek – A, Ba, Ch, E (2), K, Lan, Lau,||4||Wright’s Mill – Lau|
|1||Ware – A, E, Lau|
|1||Ware’s Bridge – A, Lau|
|1||Ware’s Mill – A, Lau|
|1||Wiseman’s Mill – Lau|
Ball’s Mill at the head of Beaverdam Creek near Gray Court was owned by a well-known dentist, a Dr. Ball. The late Thomas W. Cannady operated the grist mill and cotton gin, and during the less busy seasons Dr. Ball traveled through the country practicing his profession. Twelve to fifteen dollars was the usual price for dentures made in the homes of patients. Mrs. Florence Cannady Todd, daughter of Miller Cannady and 94 years of age, remembers living in the big two-story mill house.
Sheldon-Harlan Mill on Duncan Creek was started by a Mr. Sheldon and bought from him by John Harlan, who pastored a small field church on Upper Duncan’s Creek.
Hollingsworth Mill on Rabon Creek was the site of a battle fought with the Indians in December of 1775.
Mention of this mill is made in O’Neall’s O’Dell’s Mill on Little River is said to have been operated by Elijah O’Dell, son of John Thomas and Rachel O’Dell, who were residents of the Ware Shoals area as early as the opening of Cherokee Indian lands for settlement in 1784.
(Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC)
Membership in R&R
Stay connected with R&R, “Explore S.C. history, historic houses, & family stories…” Sign up for a free R&R membership. Members receive the “From the Porch” blog, updates on regional topics, and targeted notifications of their choice. Membership also includes travel opportunities: Carolina DeJaunts. Login and prioritize your specific points of enthusiasm:R&R Login.
User comments welcome – post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.