“A small but exquisite plantation home – restored to perfection by preservation architect, Mr. Henry Boykin.”
City Directories and History: Buckston is said to have been built in circa 1798 by General Zachariah Cantey and his wife Sarah Boykin. However, another account suggest that their original home burned and this house was built as late as 1810. At Zachariah’s death in 1822 the property was divided among his four children.
The Zachariah Cantey House is believed to have been built for Zacariah Cantey ca. 1795. The house is a fine example of a rural upcountry South Carolina planter’s residence with notable Federal detail. The house is a rectangular, one-and-one-half story hall and parlor residence with a hewn-timber braced frame and beaded weatherboard siding. The house has a tall, brick pier foundation and a gable roof. A one-story shed roofed, recessed, porch supported by six freestanding wooden pillars shelters the façade. The high quality of the interior woodwork is matched by the craftsmanship in the structure and sheathing of the house. The property is also significant for its association with Zachariah Cantey, a prominent local planter, businessman, and politician. Cantey served as quartermaster under General Greene during the Revolution. He was appointed brigadier general of the South Carolina Militia, 8th Brigade. Cantey served as commissioner to provide for exportation of beef at Camden, commissioner for inspection of bread and flour at Camden, commissioner to improve navigation of the Wateree River, commissioner of roads, and commissioner for opening the Wateree River. He was an incorporator of the Pine Tree Navigation Company, president of the Camden Jockey Club, incorporator of Camden Episcopal Church and a trustee of the South Carolina College. He also served in the State Senate. Listed in the National Register May 19, 1983. [Courtesy of the SC Dept. of Archives and History]
Buckston is listed on the National Register, as of 1983 and has been recognized for the outstanding gardens of long-term owners Mr. and Mrs. Henry Boykin, one of S.C.’s premier preservation architects. In 2013, at a meeting with R&R’s co-founder, W.B. Fairey, Sr., Mr. Boykin stated he felt R&R’s name “The Carolina Rain Porch“ describing the detached columned porches used prevalent across S.C., was the most appropriate name he had ever encounter. From this time forth, he declared, IT should be the appropriate architectural term used for the porch style.
Membership in R&R
Stay connected with R&R, “Explore S.C. history, houses, & stories…” Sign up for a R&R membership. Members receive the “From the Porch” blog, updates on regional topics, and targeted notifications of their choice. Membership also includes travel opportunities: Carolina DeJaunts. Login and prioritize your specific points of family history and enthusiasm: R&R Login.
User comments welcome – post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.