City Directories and History: 1909 – COCHRAN JOHN R JR (Elizabeth A), postmaster, r 251 Murray Ave.,
Click on the MORE INFORMATION / PDF links, found under the primary picture, to see an enlargeable postal maps (North and South sections), of the county Post Office locations in 1896. Enter the specific name in R&R’s search box to locate additional information on each of these locations found on R&R’s pages. (Old Postal Maps – Anderson County, S.C.)
LIST OF LOCATIONS:
|Townville – Townsville|
Alice Post Office was named for Alice Hall who married Foster Anderson. It was located near Carswell Institute. The mail was taken from Alice to Moffattsville.
Alpine Post Office, out from Townville, is located in the Double Springs Community, across the road from the home of Miss Grace Cromer, retired. The Post Office is in the old store building, and could have been known as Double Springs before the Alpine name was applied. Mr. John S. Cromer was probably the first and only Postmaster. He was an uncle of Miss Grace Cromer and the father of G. Guy Cromer.
A. J. Sitton, president of the Pendleton Manufacturing Company, had the Pendleton Factory Post Office name changed to Autun, around 1879. Some old residents say this was selected by Sitton because of the similarity between the name and the combination of the names Sitton and Aull. Mrs. Sitton’s maiden name was Aull. The post office and community was changed to La France in 1927, when the plant was acquired by the La France Industries, Inc.
Boleman Post Office was located out from Townville, towards Crackers Neck and is not active now although the building perhaps is still standing as a residence. It is located near the county line about halfway between Townville and Fair Play. This was the old home of the Boleman’s and Mr. Boleman was probably the postmaster at one time. Mr. L. O. Bradberry and his father-in-law, Mr. Larkin Cole, previously lived there and it is possible one of them served as postmaster. It was named in honor of G. N. C. Boleman.
Broyles’ Mill on Beaver Dam Creek was built by Dr. W. L. Broyles to furnish water power to run a wheat and com mill which was known as Broyles Mill. The waters of the Hartwell Lake now cover the site of this mill and all the fords. A picture of the old Mill is(Letter from Mrs. Joe B. Broyles 6/18/1963 Seneca River, same as Keowee, is probably badly corrupted. “Ani-Sahanikei,” Blue People, and “Sako- nige” another form of blue would seem the best offerings. “Uneka,” white, was the color sacred to the south, with some prefix, perhaps a plural obtainable. Ts-say. This was perhaps the most southerly Cherokee village of the time. “Shawan-ugi” or South Shawnees has proponents. Adair found “seneeka” a Cherokee name for one of the snake-roots. Calhoun’s supposition that our Senecas.
Cummings Springs, near Dean’s Railroad Station, was named for Harmon Cummings, a Revolutionary soldier. He moved from Sharpsburg, Maryland, to Dean’s Station, and drew a pension from 1785 to 1788 of $80.00 a year. Mr. Cummings was captured by the British and held prisoner until he was exchanged. Prisoners were fed very little; thus one day when the guard opened the door with their food, Mr. Cummings ran up to get his share. The guard knocked him down with the large wooden key they used then—knocked him unconscious. Mr. Cummings probably was buried in the old Mountain Creek cemetery, not where the cemetery is now, but on the same side of the road as the church is, towards Anderson. There is nothing there now to show who, or how many, were buried there.
Fairdeal Post Office served the public north of Belton with United States mail service from 1865 until 1901. Captain Snipes was postmaster until his resignation due to ill health in 1895. The post office was then moved to the Bowlan residence; later it was moved to the Ashemore home, and finally to the L. W. Harris home. On January 2, 1901, the post office at Fairdeal was discontinued because the Federal Government started the operation of Rural Free Delivery from the Belton Post Office which took care of the Fairdeal community.
The name Fairdeal was chosen for the trading center and post office from the following episode: A resident who lived nearby was cheated by a merchant, he then started trading with other merchants of the area. Upon the advice of a friend he went to the store of Capt. Elbert M. Snipes. Upon arriving, so goes the story, he shouted inside, “Is anybody home, I come looking for a place to trade. Can a body get a fair deal here? If so, shout out the good news.” The men inside the store shouted back in unison, “Yes, brother, get off your horse and come in, join the crowd for you are at the fairest dealing place known hereabout.” Thus, the name Fairdeal was born. The old post office building has been destroyed, but there are two large cedars which stand guard over the former site of the once thriving place.
Neal Post Office was located seven miles east of Anderson on the Honea Path Road. Elijah M. Holland was postmaster. He owned a farm one mile from Neal’s Creek Church, which observed its 150th anniversary in 1953. Elijah M. Holland made a deed to his son, W. P. Holland in 1898; he passed away in 1929, leaving the place to his children. According to Miss Zella Holland, the post office was one room attached on to tie main dwelling, but the main dwelling has been changed, and the room which was the old post office is still in the yard. The date the old post office was discontinued is not known, but the mail service went out from Anderson at that time, and now it goes out from Belton on Route 2 for that locality.
Storeville PO – Hall of the oldest churches in the county are in Hall Township. First Creek and Rocky River are very old Baptist Churches, and Hebron is an old Methodist Church. Hall Township was named for a family of that name. The first to come was the Rev. Nathaniel Hall, a Baptist minister, from Virginia. His son, John Hall gained the nickname of “Stone Fence Hall,” as he was the first to use stones found on the farm, for making stone fences. The great-grandson, Zachariah was a man of great means and education; he did much for the locality in a mental, moral and financial way. Carswell Institute was located in Hall Township. After the War Between the States, the veterans of Company F, South Carolina Volunteers, held their reunions from place to place all over the county. Mr. Martin Hall believed that a permanent meeting place was a thing to be desired for the company, and he donated to it a half acre of land adjoining the school grounds of Carswell Institute, and for many years the annual reunion at Carswell was an event anticipated with pleasure by the soldiers. Storeville was one of the points of trade in this township. In 1849 Enoch Benson and Theodore Trimmier were merchants there. In the days of rural post offices, there was one at Storeville.
Townville was first known as Brownville, and was named for Samuel Brown, founder of the settlement. Name was changed to Townville by postal authorities because there was already a Brownville post office in South Carolina. Townville is the center of activity in the Fork Township situated between the Tugaloo and Seneca rivers. The first settlers were David and Susan Sloan who purchased in that region 1,500 acres of land and built their home in 1794.
(Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC)
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.