City Directories and History: R&R has divided the 1939 SCDOT map of York County into (28) sectional maps. Many of the individually listed schools and churches shown on this section are pictured. However, in many cases, the individual site also has its own post on R&R, which often provides added information and image. Be wise and use the search function to locate all of the entries for this and other homeplace listings.
ANTIOCH METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH (An article in the Yorkville Enquirer on March 13, 1934 tells the story of the building of Antioch in the Ogden community south/southwest of Rock Hill in the year 1878. Today the name is Antioch United Methodist Church.)
In the year 1878, Rev. J. Marion Boyd, a well-known Rock Hill Methodist minister, was serving the Rock Hill circuit, Rock Hill then being such a small town, and while Mr. Boyd was looking after the spiritual needs of the different communities, he found this one without a church for miles around. So he began preaching in the homes of Thadeus K. Bates, and James H. Kidd, and it was in these homes that Rev. Boyd started a work that resulted in the organization and building of Antioch church.
He began preaching in March, 1878, and by May the private homes could no longer accommodate the people and in June a brush arbor was built near where Antioch now stands, and it was beneath the shade of this arbor, that the congregation continued to worship during June, July and August. About the first of August, a few loyal members of this congregation, so the records go, determined to build a church, and on a hot sultry day, gathered together in the woods, near the brush arbor and began chopping and hewing sills, sleepers and framing. The rafters, weather boarding, flooring, plank to make the benches, nails, hinges and locks, were about all that was bought for this building. Even the boards that cover the roof, were split from oak. About sixty days from the time these determined men began chopping in the woods, Antioch church was finished and dedicated by Rev. J. Marion Boyd, September 29, 1878. . . . The records show that the actual cash spent in building the church was only $255.10.
(Information courtesy of and from: YCGHS – The Quarterly Magazine)
Membership in R&R
Stay connected with R&R, “Explore S.C. history, historic houses, & family stories…” Sign up for a R&R membership. Members receive the “From the Porch” blog, updates on regional topics, and targeted notifications of their choice. Membership also includes travel opportunities: Carolina DeJaunts. Login and prioritize your specific points of enthusiasm: R&R Login.
User comments welcome – post at the bottom of this page.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.