One of Rock Hill’s Earliest Houses
City Directories and History: 1908 – Scotia Reid, 1922/23 – Roddey Reid,
“Next east to the Roach house was a charming frame cottage with what used to be called a raised basement and a lovely curved stairway leading from the porch to the ground. Here lived Capt. W. L. Roddey and his wife, Anna C. Baskin. They probably built the house. It was eventually sold to Mr. Sam L. Reid,
who was associated in business with Captain Roddey. Mr. Reid’s wife was born Frances (“Miss Fannie”) Baskin. Their children were Mr. Roddey Reid, S. L. Reid, Cecil Reid, and Scotia, a daughter. Cecil moved to Virginia to live. Baptist Church now stands on this lot.” [Robbins – White Tour History]
Lot 11 North—Purchased from A. T. Black on May 12, 1867, for $90, by Captain W. L. Roddey. This was a lot measuring 103’ x 212’. Captain and Mrs. Roddey (she was born Anna Cousart Baskin) built a lovely cottage which featured what was called in those days “a raised basement.” We today would call it a two-story house. The portico was located on the second level. At the eastern end of the portico a rather elegant curving stairway led to ground level.
As his family grew, Captain Roddey determined in 1874 to build a larger residence. His older brother, the Rock Hill merchant David C. Roddey had died. The widow was living on the adjoining lot to the east, one of the three largest lots on Main Street. She also probably owned the undesignated lot to the east of her home site. Accordingly, Captain Roddey persuaded her to sell him a large portion of Lot 12 North, where he set about erecting an impressive residence. He sold Lot 11 on January 14, 1874, to W. A. Barber for $2,300. He in turn sold it to J. F. Barber of Chester County, S. C. on October 24, 1876.
J. F. Barber conveyed the premises, on December 20, 1879, to Samuel L. Reid, a young merchant in the community who had business contacts with Captain Roddey. Also, Mrs. Reid (born Frances Baskin) was a first cousin of Mrs. W. L. Roddey.
The Rock Hill Herald reported on June 21, 1899 – “Ms. Fannie Reid, has moved to the McCosh House on Black Street where she will live until her new house on Main Street is completed. The house is now being torn down, and a new handsome one will be erected in its place.”
The Herald reported on July 15, 1899 – “Construction of a residence for Mrs. S.L. Reid on Main Street at a cost of $1,500.”
In the twentieth century Mr. Reid died and the property in question was eventually sold to the congregation of the First Baptist Church. On this lot the Church built a house of worship in 1922. Note the Sanborn Map in yellow, shows the Elam-Roddey-Reid home on what would eventually become the corner of Oakland Avenue and East Main Streets.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY – Contributed and written by Paul M. Gettys
From the early years of Rock Hill as a village, there were Presbyterian, Methodist, and Episcopalian churches serving the village and surrounding countryside. Shortly after the civil War, a number of new families began to move to Rock Hill to take advantage of the economic growth which was occurring. Among these was the family of Capt. Reid McCosh and his wife Jane McFadden McCosh. Capt. McCosh was a member of the Presbyterian Church, but his wife was a Baptist, and maintained her membership in Harmony Baptist Church in Chester County. Mrs. McCosh worked for twenty years to help establish the Baptist cause in Rock Hill. As early as 1867, Rev. A. L. Stough, who was pastor at Harmony and Catawba Baptist churches, preached on Sunday nights in Rock Hill. At first the Baptists met in the Presbyterian Church, and later in the Methodist Church. For a number of years, there were not enough supporters to begin a church, and various Baptist ministers preached in Rock Hill trying to gather together a congregation.
By 1878, Mrs. McCosh and Col. J. J. Waters decided to seek the organization of a church. Rev. J. H. Edwards had recently come to serve the Harmony and Catawba Churches, and it was agreed that he would give part of his time to the work in Rock Hill. The group had been meeting for a time in the Methodist Church at 208 Hampton Street, a frame building. When the Methodists built a new church on Main Street about that time, they rented their old church to the Baptists for $2 per month. The church was organized on November 3, 1878 with 20 members, and others joined soon after. The small group began raising funds and soon bought lots at 212 and 214 Hampton Street from Mr. Robert B. McFadden for $180. By August 1879, a brick church building was begun and it was dedicated in April 1880. The cost was $1,800 and the building was a simple 36 feet by 50 feet structure. In this building, the first indoor baptisms by immersion occurred in Rock Hill.
The church grew and the congregation felt that a new and larger building was needed. Mr. W. M. Frew, a loyal church member, had died in 1893, and his will left a gift to the church for either improving the church or building a new one. The congregation decided to build a new church on the site of the old one. The church, which would seat 600, was completed for $4,500 during the pastorate of Rev. V. I. Masters about 1893. It included a Sunday School space. By 1897, Rev. J. D. Robertson became the first full-time pastor who was not shared with another church. In 1904, the first parsonage was bought from J. B. Heath, and was located at 347 Hampton Street.
First Baptist had grown with Rock Hill. With the creation of mill villages, the church began organizing Sunday Schools in the various new sections of town. This led by the early 1900s to the formation of three new Baptist churches: Park (1907), Northside (1907), and West End (1908). First Baptist itself continued to grow, and the need for a larger church building became apparent. At first, a site on White Street was purchased, but the congregation was not united in support for this site. In 1916, a lot on Main Street became available, and it was purchased for $17,498. A portion of this land facing Oakland Avenue was sold to the Peoples Trust Company for $10,250 the next year, helping to defray the cost. The congregation of about 300 members decided to build a large and imposing building on the new lot, and a Mr. Padgett was contracted to do the work for $125,000. The new building was completed in 1923. The old church on Hampton Street had been sold in 1920 to the Record Printing Company for $10,000, and the Rock Hill Record was printed there for a number of years. The Hampton Street site is now part of the City Hall complex.
At some point, a new parsonage was established on Caldwell Street near the new church. In 1936, the lot on which the parsonage stood was sold, and Dr. Dunlap’s clinic was later built on the site. The parsonage house was moved to St. John’s Court. It was later sold and the church purchased a new parsonage in 1943 at 251 Main Street. Major additions to the church facility were completed in 1937, 1955, and 1984.
In 2003, the congregation decided to leave its downtown facility in order to accommodate growth, and a new church plant was built on Dave Lyle Boulevard. The last service was held in the Main Street church in 2004, and later that year it was sold to Freedom Temple Ministries.
The Record reported on Jan. 19, 1920 – “That the big pipe organ for First Baptist Church building arrived today and will be installed by experts from the factory.”
Click on Lauelwood Cemetery Tours for Roddey’s gravesite.
Sources: First Baptist Church website; The History of First Baptist Church, 1878-1978, Alma C. Ratterree; The History of the Rock Hill Baptists, Rev. R. T. Marsh, 1909. These publications are in the Local History Room of the York County Library in Rock Hill.
Click on the More Information > link found below the picture column for additional data. Also see R&R’s page on the First Baptist Church.
[Information provided via Along the Land’s Ford Road – Vol. I, 2008 by William B. White, Jr.]
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.