“The Roddey Reid corner of East Main Street.”
City Directories and History:
1908 – (#210 and 218) S.J. Kimball and Sons, Jackson Kimbell
In 2015, South State Bank began the renovation of what had originally been the Rock Hill National Bank building and more recently, Bank of America’s downtown Rock Hill headquarters. Prior to becoming a banking corner, the location served as the home of the Kimball family, the Reid’s auto parts store and their filling station. Few parcels of land in downtown Rock Hill have evolved so dramatically.
The RH Herald reported on July 5, 1899 – “Mr. Walter Kerr of Rock Hill has been in Yorkville looking over arrangements for the new sales barn and livery business, the Kerr – Kimball Livestock Co., will establish. They have closed a contract with Walter B. Moore for him to erect a building to suit their needs on a five year lease. The building will be of brick at Congress and Main Street (Main St – Ally), next to the Opera House and opposite the Parish Hotel. They will continue doing business in Rock Hill.” (It is questionable if this building was ever erected.)
The Herald reported on Jan. 27, 1900 reported Mr. William A. Aldrich, who lives on Black Street in the rear of the Kerr – Kimball Stables is seriously ill. He and his family have only lived there a few month.
The Herald reported on Aug. 25, 1900 – “Mr. S.J. Kimball, prop. of Kimball’s City Livery, has added a buggy and harness department in connection with his livery and sales stable.”
The RH Record reported on Sept. 28, 1908 – “Big horse sale to be held Oct. 3rd at the stables of S.J. Kimball and Sons on East Main Street. J. W. Ferguson, Auctioneer.”
The Herald reported on Feb. 1, 1923 – “Roddey Reid’s new filling station, in front of the Roddey Reid Garage, opened this morning. Mr. Reid has moved out of the front room he formerly occupied in the Crawford Building.”
Lot 10 South—the first known owner of this lot was one William Hamilton, who was in possession of it as early as 1855. Since a portion of this lot was cut off and sold to the owner of Lot 9 South, Lot 10 South measured only 68’ in front and extended back 212’. The next owners were Captain Robert M. Kerr and his partner Robert Patton, who did business under the name of R. M. Kerr & Company.
On September 3, 1863, Kerr and Patton conveyed the premises to John Ratterree for $800. There was evidently a frame house on
the property, doubtless a residence. When John Ratterree bought the Neely property at the corner of Depot and Main streets in 1863, he sold Lot 10 South to Adam W. Taylor of Colleton County, S. C. Taylor probably used the property for rental income. We know that the family of Samuel Golden Keesler lived there as early as the 1860’s, perhaps from 1863, when the Ratterrees moved out. Mrs. Keesler’s maiden name was Sarah E. Caston; she was a native of Lancaster County, S. C. The Keeslers came into actual possession of Lot 10 South in 1876, when Sarah E. Keesler bought the property from A. W. Taylor for $600.
After the elder Keeslers died, the lot was sold by Edward L. Keesler to S. J. Kimball (“Mr. Stony Kimball”) on April 10, 1890, for $800. The Kimballs lived in the old Keesler house until 1892, when Mr. Kimball erected a new and very attractive five-room cottage, surrounding it with lovely gardens and shade trees.
The Rock Hill Record contained an ad on June 25, 1908 – Rock Hill Buggy Company, “A Little Higher in Price – But…” – S.J. Kimball and Son.
Eventually, the lot ceased to be used for residential property. The writer remembers Mr. Roddey Reid’s filling station on the lot. Later, the headquarters building of the Rock Hill National Bank, an elegant structure in Williamsburg style, was erected there. Working closely with Frank Robards, the banks President, Rock Hill architect, Milton Sadler designed the building. Today that building is owned by Bank of America. (In 2015 it became the site of South State Bank). But from the 1890’s until the 1920’s the place was always referred to as “the Kimball place.” (S.E. Kimball also owned a farm and home on what became Squire Rd., shown on the 1910 Walker Postal Map.)
[Information provided via Along the Land’s Ford Road – Vol. I, 2008 by William B. White, Jr.]
The Rock Hill City Directories show Stonewall J. Kimball and his wife Sarah E. living on at their home on East Main Street #218, which was their long-term home. It is therefore more likely he constructed these houses for the Kimball’s sons.
The Herald reported on Aug 14, 1897 – “That a livery stable on Main Street, in the rear of Morley’s Gallery is being built for S.J. Kimball.” Click on Lauelwood Cemetery Tours for S.J. Kimball’s gravesite.
The Herald reported on May 23, 1889 – “The house and lot on Main Street, known as the Keesler Place is for sale, the house has eight room, contact B.G. Keesler of Rock Hill or E.L. Keesler of Charlotte.”
The Charleston News and Courier of June 7, 1890 stated – “The sale of livestock has become one of the fixed industries of this place. There are four livery stables in this town. They are owned by J. Edward Poag, John Ratterree, Heath and Kimball, and A. Friedheim and Brothers. The livery stable of J. Edward Poag is by far the handsomest in the upper section of S.C. The other stables are well appointed and conveniently situated and accordingly do a very good business. “
Click on the More Information > link found below the picture column for additional data.
Click HOME to return to the numbered site tour of Rock Hill’s downtown.
*** Names associated with the Adams Family enlargement photo: Back Row – Jennie A. White, Hiram H. White, Mrs. Speight (Rachael Roof) Adams, Speight Adams, Lomas C. Adams, James “Jay” Leander Adams, Mrs. Jay Adams (Mary Good), Carrie Adams Kimball, Mrs. May Hope Adams (holding Hiram), Mary Adams (Mrs. B.J. White), Stonewall Jackson Kimball (holding Jack and Caroline Kimball).
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.