“Smith’s Old Field at Blairsville was a popular gathering spot.”
BLAIRSVILLE POST OFFICE: John Blair was appointed Postmaster 1 January 1815 and served until 25 February 1829 when Samuel Blair was appointed. Allen Crosby was appointed postmaster 8 March 1834, and it seems at this time the office moved from the Blair home presently located on Lockhart Highway and Blanton Road, to the Crosby home and store near intersection of Lockhart Highway and Wilson Chapel Road. James R. Gillespie was appointed 23 October 1845 and may have been located near the intersection of present day Lockhart Highway and Highway 97. It was reestablished 6 April 1848 with David T. Barratt as Postmaster, who continued to 8 July 1852 when William Crosby became Postmaster. John S. Crosby was appointed 15 January 1858, but was replaced by Lawson Jenkins, appointed the follow December. William White was appointed 2 April 1859 and served until it was discontinued on 4 October 1866. It was reestablished on 15 August 1867 when Margaret P. White was appointed Postmistress. William J. Rainey was appointed 13 February 1872, and the post office was moved to Rainey store located near Lockhart Highway and Sherer Road. H. E. Davidson became the Postmaster on 23 January 1879 and was followed by Sarah Russell 17 January 1881. Postmistress Russell served the public from her home until the office was consolidated with Sharon 30 June 1903.
Yorkville Enquirer, Thursday, March 20, 1862
Enquirer Editor on Draft
The editor wrote on the issue of the draft. “This day, throughout the State, the militia are to be enrolled, preparatory to a conscription to fill a requisition of the Confederate Government for 5000 men to serve for and during the present war. Volunteering is, after today, at an end, and an indiscriminate system is to be adopted for the future regiments. It is to be regretted that the ‘democratic’ features of the war-going portion is blotted out, by an appointive power, but as it is likely that companies will be fractional from each portion of a District or Districts, the powers that be have deemed such a course necessary, to which as peace loving citizens we may remonstrate, but must obey[italics in original]. The up-country is, we think, properly jealous of the down-country pressure for offices, which they had better fill at home. In the present issue we call attention to the communication of our correspondent ‘York,’ also to the notices from the Executive Department on our first page, the advertisement on our 2d, and that of the Surgeon-General as to the exemptions that may be claimed. All the information to be obtained, can be found in our columns today.
“The Captains meet their Regimental Officers of the 34th Regiment, at Smith’s old field, on the 24th instant, when the enrolment of the Regiment will be made, and forwarded to the Adjutant General, who will decide whether or not it has its quota made up.”
YORK COUNTY MEN IN 34TII REGT., STATE RESERVES – The group reported for duty at Smith’s Old Field near Blairsville.
(The July 29, 1863 issue of The Yorkville Enquirer listed York County volunteers for the state reserves, sometimes called the “Senior Reserves,” who were men not subject to the draft but looked upon as a home guard in case of invasion of the state. Most of the men were in their 40s and 50s. The company was organized just three days after major Confederate losses at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.)
Roster of Company organized at Smith’s Old Field, July 7,1863, in the 34th Regiment, S. C. M.
Officers – John T. Lowry, Captain; J. W. Moore, 1st Lieut.; J. M. M. Cain, 2nd Lieut.; Wm. Howell, 3rd. Lieut. Privates: Wm. Armstrong, W. N. Ashe, Robt. Allison, Wm. Bradford, Jackson Brown, R. G. Bratton, Hugh Burris, A. Bigger, John Barber, M. R. Bird, Alfred Craven, Robert Caldwell, William Carson, Sherrod Childers, Harvey Caston, M. S. Crow, W. H. Carroll, J. H. Dickson, T. Dover, Robt. Davidson, John Dover, James Donald, W. G. Dowdle, T. J. Eccles, Jonathan Edwards, W. M. Enloe, Leroy Ferguson, E. A. Falls, E. W. Falls, O. A. Faris, J. E. Floyd, E. G. Feemster, William Givens, Alfred Gardner, James Gardner, Wm. Gardner, C. C. Gwin, W. H Good, Alex. Galloway, J. W. A. Hartness, Thos. Harten, A. M. Henry, James Hampton, W. L. Hopson, A. W. Holt, Allen Huske, Dr. L. A. Hill, Lewis Hambright, Gilbr’th Hambright, W. E. Hill, Andrew Heafner (Hafner), Andrew Hays, S. J. KuykendalL, James S. Lewis, James G. Lindsay, Thomas Lominack, Andrew Love, Robt. S. Lathem, A. F. Love, J. E. Love, J. B. Lowry, John McCants, J. M. Moore, Moses Martin, W. H. McDaniel, O. N. McCarter, C. L. H. McCarter, Joel McCarter, Jonathan Moore, William Moss, Isaac W. Moore, John Moss, A. J. Martin, T. K. Mickle, John McCarley, R. F. McLure, W. N. Parish, L. L. Packard, Robt. Peterson, J. Pursley, Spencer Pruitt, J. R. Patrick, W. H. Quinn, Robt. Robeson, Wm. Robeson, A. E. Robeson, Lewis Ramsey, W. J. Rainey, Alfred Stilwell, David Scoggins, W. B. Steele, J. Stewart, McCluney Smith, J. D. Smarr, Benjamin Tolbert, Wm. Whisonant, J. W. Whitesides, Henry Watson, Jos. G. Webber, J. Willis White, V. B. Wilson, G. R. Whisonant, Hamilton Wilson. Information from and courtesy of the YCGHS Magazine – March 1993
Yorkville Enquirer, October 28, 1863: Officers of the 5th Regt., State Troops
James H. Williams (Newberry) Col.; John A. Bradley (Chester) Lt. Col.; Lucian P. Sadler (York) Major; M. M. Hunter (Laurens) Surgeon; John A. Walker (Chester) Asst. Surgeon; R. F. Attwood (Newberry) Adjutant; A. G. Maybin (Union) Quartermaster; James P. DePass (Kershaw) Chaplain; R. A. McKnight (Union) Sgt.-Major; A. W. T. Simmons (Spartanburg) Ord. Sgt.; L. W. Williams (Laurens) Quartermaster Sgt.; Daniel Williams (York) Commissary Sgt.; William Lorroh (Newberry) Hospital Steward; John Satterwhite (Newberry) Wagon Master; and William R. Briggs (Union) Orderly.
Officers of each company was listed, below are those from Chester and York.
Co. A: John Hardin (Chester) Capt.; W. T. Gilmore (Chester) 1st Lt.; William Hardin (Chester) 2nd Lt.; and William Hollis (Chester) 2nd Lt.
Co. B: John T. Lowry (York) Capt.; John W. Moore (York) 1st Lt.; J. M. M. Cain (York) 2nd Lt.; and William Howell (York) 2nd Lt.
Co. K: W. J. Bowen (York) Capt.; Z. D. Smith (York) 1st Lt. [paper mistakenly had three 2nd Lts.]; A. F. Ferrell (York) 2nd Lt.; and W. L. Robinson (York) 2nd Lt.
Co. L: W. P. Gill (Chester) Capt.; Jesse C. Clifton (Chester) 1st Lt.; David M. Peden (Chester) 2nd Lt.; and Gardner Jamieson (Chester) 2nd Lt.
Open the MORE INFORMATION link (found under the primary picture), to view an enlargeable, 1896 Postal Map of York County, S.C.
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.