Adeline H. Caldwell (1811 – 1875) Caldwell Street was laid off to be parallel to the eastern boundary of Mrs. A. Caldwell‘s homeplace lot. In other words, Caldwell Street runs from White to Main, so to speak, and not Main to White. It appears that, in this sense at least, Mrs. White, who had maintained an ongoing lawsuit with local merchants over the road, had the last word! And let us not forget that the street was named for Mrs. White‘s sister, Adeline (Hutchison) Caldwell, the widow of Dr. David T. Caldwell of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
Adeline H. Caldwell, was indeed the sibling of both A.E. Hutchison and Ann H. White who resided within a block of her home on the corner of Caldwell Street and East White. She was surrounded by family including a niece and two nephews. The house took up much of the corner and was Mrs. Caldwell’s home for years after returning to Rock Hill as a the widow of Dr. Caldwell at Rosedale Plantation, in what is now uptown Charlotte, N.C. Along with her siblings, Adeline received a handsome bequeath from her extraordinarily wealthy brother, Hiram Hutchison, I of New York City. They received the funds at the end of the Civil War, circa 1868, and it happened to provide enough income for her to reside comfortably at her home in Rock Hill. Her sister, Ann H. White regularly reported on the income she was due on the inherited money.
Click her for additional information – Caldwell.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.