City Directories and History: 1908 – A.C. Izard, 1913 – Same, 1917 – A.C. Izard, 1920 – W.B. Good, R.F. Good, 1926 – W.B. Good, 1936 – Anna Hughes, 1946 – Emmett
D. Presson (#235) Hollis Cleaners, 1963 – Hollis Cleaners and People’s Barbers Shop
The Herald reported on Feb. 28, 1889 – “Allen Izard has married Florence Behre of Walterboro, S.C. They will board with J. F. Reid (Main Street).”
The Herald reported on July 3, 1897 – “That the new home of A.C. Izard is being built on White Street. There will be six room on the first floor and four on the second floor. There will be a slate roof, the house will be painted buff color, with red trimmings and greed blinds. The roof is by J.W. Westerland (Joshua W. lived at 319 Green Street) and the paint by R.D. Ownes.”
From the Rock Hill Herald, March 6, 1901 – “Col. Allan C. Izard”
Col. Allan C. Izard, father of our townsman, Mr. A. C. Izard, who died of paralysis at his home in Walterboro last Thursday, was a native of Chester county, where he was born in 1834. His grandfather, Henry Izard, was a native of South Carolina and a son of Ralph Izard, an Englishman, who was commissioner from this country to Tuscany, and one of the first two United States Senators elected from South Carolina. When a child Mr. Izard was taken by his widowed mother to Columbia, and was there reared and educated. He entered the Naval Academy, at Annapolis, in 1850, and after two years study on the shore, spent two years in the sloop of war Portsmouth, and was detached at the Sandwich Islands early in 1853 and assigned to the St. Lawrence, a 60-gun frigate, the flag ship of the Pacific squadron, in which he cruised until 1855, when he returned for examination and promotion. He graduated in June 1856, standing sixth in a class of twenty-five. Upon his graduation as passed midshipman, he was assigned to the St. Lawrence and ordered to the Brazil station. In February 1857, he was ordered to report to the United States steamer Hetzel for coast survey work on the North Carolina coast, Chesapeake Bay, York and James River, and was so employed until the fall of the same year, when he resigned and returned to Columbia, S. C. He was married there, in 1857, to Julia Davie Bedon, daughter of the late Richard Bedon, and at once removed to his plantation in Colleton county, where he remained until the outbreak of the war. He went into the Confederate army and served on the coast, in Florida and Virginia until, having been sent to a hospital in Richmond, he was pronounced unfit for further field service and was relieved from duty. After the war he returned to his plantation in Colleton county and engaged in farming. He was appointed postmaster of Walterboro by President Cleveland during his second term and remained in the office until about two years ago, since which time he has been living in quiet retirement.
The Herald on Nov. 26, 1902 reported – “Mrs. Julia D. Izard of Walterboro has moved to Rock Hill with her daughters Mamie and Mattie, and they will make their home with Mr. A.C. Izard.”
The Rock Hill Record reported July 12, 1909 – “Mr. and Mrs. J. Porter Hollis returned from their bridal tour and are living at the home of Mrs. A.C. Izard.”
This beautiful home was that of local businessman A.C. Izard for whom Izard Street is named.
Other businesses that were located approximately in this area along East Main Street included: T.E. Jones Furniture Company, Hollis Cleaners, Rock Hill Cold Storage, and Peoples Barber Shop.
The Herald reported on Sept. 15, 1939 – “That R.C. Longshore has purchased the Ford Dealership on East White Street, formerly operated by Williams Motor Company since 1936 under management George R. Williams. Mr. Longshore and family are residing in the Jack Austin home in Ebenezer.”
Click on the More Information / PDF > link found below the picture column for a plat of the approximate location of the Izard home along White Street, as well as articles on the Izard family in Charleston, S.C. and the Landsford area of Lancaster County.
Joshua Ward Westerlund – A contribution to R&R by J.P. Gettys, 2015
Mr. Westerlund (1851-1930) was a roofer or “tinner” who moved to Rock Hill in 1874 from Charleston. He was active in his trade for a number of years, and we have records of his work on several prominent buildings in Rock Hill.
Joshua Westerlund was the son of Captain Charles F. Westerlund (1817-1864) and his wife Martha. Charles Westerlund arrived in Charleston in 1847, an immigrant from Sweden. In the 1850 Census, he is listed as a “Master Mariner” and in 1860 as a “Sea Captain.” The 1854 Charleston City Directory lists the family at 6 Savage Street. Martha Randal King Westerlund was born in Charleston. The couple had at least four children, of whom Joshua was the youngest. Charles Westerlund served in the Civil War. One source sys that he was in Company F, South Carolina Ist Infantry (Charleston Reserves) and another says he attempted to run the Union blockade of Charleston with his cutter named Martin. He was killed in an unknown action on November 2, 1864. He is buried in Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston.
Joshua Westerlund is listed in the 1870 Census in Charleston and had recently married in Summerville to Eudora Jane Faris Westerlund. He is recorded as a tinner, and he and Eudora were living with his mother and two sisters. Joshua and Eudora and son Charles moved to Rock Hill in 1874. In the 1880 Census, he is listed as a tinner. Based on information currently available, the couple eventually had eight children. Son Charles (1871-1940) was also a tinner in the 1880 Census, although only nine years old. Charles would later go on to have a plumbing business and become a plumbing inspector for the City of Rock Hill. Two sons died at a young age: Oscar Ward (1874-1880) and Fred London (1884-1901). Daughter Etta Ward Westerlund married Efrom F. Fraley, who worked with his father-in-law as a tinner.
On January 14, 1891, the Rock Hill Herald reported that the selection of a candidate for the position of “winder and repairer of the town clock” was being considered by the City Council. The position paid $35 per year. J. W. Westerlund was one of two persons being considered. However, George Beach, a local jeweler, was selected.
We have records of Mr. Westerlund being involved in the construction several important buildings in Rock Hill, including the Friedheim Building, 113 East Main Street (1898), and the installation of a slate roof on the home of A. C. Izard at 239 East White Street (1897). In 1899, the Westerlund Tin Shop was located on the Hutchison property between Main Street and Black Street. In 1914, his shop was described as opposite the freight depot, which would place it on Railroad Avenue (later Trade Street).
In the 1908 City Directory, the family is shown as living at 319 Green Street. In the 1910 Census, they are also on Green Street, and the household consists of Joshua, Eudora, and their daughter and son-in-law Etta and Efrom Fraley. An advertisement in the Rock Hill Herald on July 3, 1914 described J. W. Westerlund as a “General Metal Worker” and listed his skills as tin and slate roofing, galvanized shingles, gutter, and galvanized iron cornices.
By 1922, son-in-law Fraley had taken over the business. His advertisement in the City Directory of that year says that he is “Successor to J. W. Westerlund” and is a General Metal Worker. He advertised galvanized iron cornices and tin and slate roofing. His business was located on Chatham Avenue near White Street.
Eudora died in 1920. When Joshua died in 1930, he had been living for several years at 217 West Main Street in the household of the Fraleys. Survivors included daughters Mrs. J. L. Neville of Savannah, Mrs. T. M. Young of Asheville, and Mrs. Fraley, and sons Charles A. Westerlund of Rock Hill and A. M. Westerlund of Edgemoor. At his death, the Herald (July 11, 1930) described Mr. Westerlund as “An esteemed citizen…among what might be termed the old citizens of Rock Hill, one fully conversant with its early history, which he loved to recount with the interest natural to one who had lived through the formative years of the town. He was remarkably well-read, and possessed a library at one time which might well be the envy of the literati.” The funeral service was in the Fraley home, and was conducted by Rev. W. P. Peyton of the Episcopal Church of Our Saviour, where Westerlund was a long-time member. The burial in Laurelwood Cemetery was in charge of the Masonic lodge.
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.