City Directories and History: 1908 – J.G. Anderson, 1917 – J.G. Anderson, 1936 – John G. Anderson, 1946 – Alice A. Anderson, 1963 – Mrs. Alice A. Gill
The Herald reported on Jan. 18, 1883 – “That J. P. Gage, attorney at law, has moved into one of the rooms above the store of J. G. Anderson and Company.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on Oct. 4, 1899 – “In a list of new construction projects in Rock Hill, the J.G. Anderson home was listed as costing $4,000.”
The Herald reported on Sept. 6, 1902 – “Mr. J.C. Wallace is placing lightning rods on the home of Mr. J.G. Anderson. He also has contracts for several additional house.” (This was shortly following damage to numerous homes in RH following a lightning storm.)
The John Gary Anderson home is significant for its association with John Gary Anderson, a key figure in the development of Rock Hill and the co-founder and president of the Anderson Motor Company, one of the few automobile manufacturing companies in the South during the early days of the automotive industry. Anderson was also significant in the field of agriculture for his creation of the Rock Hill Plan for reducing cotton acreage. In addition, the Anderson House is significant for its elaborate Queen Anne design. According to tradition, A. D. Holler, the foremost builder in Rock Hill at the time, built the house in 1898, according to a design published by George F. Barber, a nationally recognized architect from Tennessee who propagated his work in numerous architectural pattern books. It is a two-and-one-half-story frame building with a three-story turret on the north corner of the façade. A one-story porch wraps around the turret and spans the façade, with an attached gazebo at the south (left) end. The roof is of slate, with metal crestings.
Two brick chimneys with corbelled caps rise above the roof. Listed in the National Register May 13, 1982. [Courtesy of the S.C. Dept. of Archives and History]
The Herald reported on March 16, 1892 – “As a drummer, J. G. Anderson is a hummer. Last week he made a trip to the lower part of the State and sold $1,921 worth of goods for the Holler & Anderson Buggy Company in six days. This is a good report, considering the ‘hard times.”
Interestingly, the Anderson home was design according to the local tradition by Architect, Hugh Edward White (1869 – 1939), born in Fort Mill, S.C. who attended Fort Mill Academy and started his practice in about 1894. Remained in Rock Hill until about 1903 and later returned to work. In the 1890’s he worked in an architectural firm in Atlanta. Between 1903-1918 he was a field supervisor of the Supt. Architect Dept. of the Treasury. For about three years 1918-21, he was employed with Charles Coker Wilson in Columbia or Gastonia, N.C. However, if he designed anything, it was in conjunction with the stand features offered in the package houses being sold and distributed across the US by George F. Barber.
The Rock Hill Journal reported June 12, 1901 – “That the Rock Hill Buggy Company 509 buggies during the month of May. Their average monthly production is 475.”
The Rock Hill Journal on June 12, 1901 – “J.B. Martin of Hickory Grove, S.C. has the contract for moving two houses on Wilson Street across the street and remodeling them and also for two new five room cottages on Wilson Street.” J.G. Anderson and J.M. Cherry are making these improvements.
The Record reported on Jan. 17, 1907 – “A charter has been issued by the Sec. of State for the Oakland Dairy Farm of Rock Hill. The capital of the company is $5,000. John G. Anderson and George P. Holler are the incorporators. ”
The RH Record contained an ad on Nov. 21, 1907 for the Oakland Dairy Farm. It stated, “Elmore Miller, who has been with us for several months, now has charge of the dairy.”
The RH Record reported on Jan. 23, 1908 – “That the People’s Bank will sell all household furniture of the late George P. Holler at the Oakland Dairy Farm.”
The RH Record reported on March 19, 1908, included an article on a visit of Mr. Grist, the Editor of the Yorkville Enquirer to Rock Hill. He visited the Oakland Dairy. Mr. John G. Anderson has fine cows producing butter, cream and ice cream. The dairy devotes most of its business to ice cream. It is in the charge of Mr. W.R. Miller.
The Rock Hill Record reported on Jan. 25, 1909 – “R.E. Browne, freight agent for the Southern and J.G. Anderson went on an excursion to Havana Cuba. They went to Miami over the new Flagler railroad to Key West and from their to Havana by boat.”
Click on the More Information > link found in the picture column for additional data and articles on J.G. Anderson. Click on Laurelwood Cemetery Tours for his gravesite. Or click HOME to be returned to the Oakland Tour or click HOME to return to the numbered site tour of Rock Hill’s downtown.
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.