The Yorkville Enquirer of March 25, 1891 reported – “Prof. C.C. Hard is engaged in giving pupils of the graded school a course of twenty lessons in vocal music.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on July 27, 1892 – “The Yorkville Graded School trustees meet and elected Prof. W.W. Lewis as Supt. for next year. Teachers at the white school are: Maggie Gist, Lila Peek, Ida Meek, and Annie Marshall (music teacher). The two colored schools will be consolidated and teachers are: Allen Alexander and W.R. Douglas.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on July 26, 1893 – “Trustees of the Yorkville Graded School have completed arrangements for Prof. A.R. Banks of Rock Hill to take charge of the school. He will also conduct a first class high school for boys in the same building. On Oct. 4, the Banks High School for Boys and Girls has now been in operation for about one month and has enrolled sixty seven pupils.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on May 17, 1893 – “Mrs. Sarah Wells has given a contract for the erection of a three room cottage on East Jefferson Street near the graded school.”
The Rock Hill Herald reported on Dec. 19, 1896 – “An election will be held in Yorkville next Thursday to decide whether or not to issue $4,000. in bonds for the erection and equipage of a graded school at that place.”
The RH Herald reported on June 24, 1899 reported that Ms. Mary Jo Witherspoon, who has been teaching as assistant in the Lowrysville High School, has been elected to a position in the Yorkville Graded School.”
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on May 14, 1902 – The trustees of the Yorkville Graded School have set a vote on bond for the new school building of approximately $12,500. They will also vote on various locations.
The Rock Hill Herald reported on July 2, 1902 – “The contract for the erection of the Graded School in Yorkville has been let to J.J. Keller and Co. The building in to cost $12,500. and Mr. H.E. White is the architect.”
City Directories and History: Under the auspices of Bethel Presbytery, the Yorkville Female College was founded in 1852, opened in 1854 and built a three-story brick school on the site of the present McCelvey Center. During the Civil War, college classes continued on and off-site as the building housed refugees who fled the war in lower part of the state. A private boys’ and girls’ school operated here 1882 to 1888. Legislation by the state of South
Carolina in late 1888 established a system of free schools. The building was purchased by the Town of Yorkville to house what became the second public graded school system in the state. It burned in 1900 and a new brick school was constructed in 1902 on the original stone foundation. That building was integrated into the design of the present structure, when an east wing and theater were added in 1922. The York Graded School became an elementary school after a new high school was built in 1951. It was renamed McCelvey Elementary School in 1973 to honor George C. McCelvey (1888-1973), who served as principal from 1912 to 1948. The last day of school in the building was June 4, 1987. Since then, it has been used by the community and the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County to house the Historical Center of York County and cultural materials from the region. [Courtesy of the Yorkville Historical Society – 2002]
Another account states; “In 1855, the Presbytery began building a structure “sufficient to accommodate three hundred pupils.” The new building, 100 feet long and 57 feet wide, became the Yorkville Female Institute, one of the most widely known educational institutions in the area. The school prospered until 1861, when it closed during the Civil War in order to house refugees fleeing the lower part of South Carolina. A year after the war ended, the school reopened. Boys were admitted into the institution beginning in 1879. In 1888 the school ceased operations as a private academy and became Yorkville Graded School.” [Historic Architectural Survey of York – 2008]
A TRAVELER’S JOURNAL – 1858
by Louise Pettus – An unidentified traveler left the village of Pacolet near Spartanburg in 1858 on his way to Yorkville, the county seat of York District He kept a journal that is short but interesting. He crossed the Broad River at Howell’s Ferry and noted that “fingerboards” pointed the way. Fingerboards were required by state law at every crossroad so that travelers would not be inconvenienced. Some of the sign painters were quite artistic and constructed a pointer that looked like a hand with the finger pointing; others merely cut to the board to a point on one end or painted an arrow with the name of the next town and the number of miles. Because mischief makers were likely to turn the fingerboards around, many roads had permanent stone markers. The traveler noted that there were many hills to Yorkville which he called one of the prettiest towns in the state. He stayed at an inn run by Colonel Stowe, “the jolliest of landlords.” He was surprised at how narrow the main street of Yorkville was but thought there were many handsome buildings. He especially was impressed with the “elegant dwellings.” The Female Academy (on East Jefferson Street and now called the McCelvey Building) was a special object of local pride along with the new buildings of the Kings Mountain Military Academy under the direction of Micah Jenkins and Asbury Coward…… (Information courtesy of and from: YCGHS – The Quarterly Magazine)
The McCelvey Center was the home of the Historical Center of York County for many years until it moved next door into their new archival facilities in 2014. York County and the Museum Commission hope to utilize the space for potential offices and exhibits.
The Herald reported on May 24, 1902 – “Architect H.E. White went to Yorkville Tuesday to submit plans and specifications for the new school building. The plans were accepted, estimated cost is $12,000.” On July 2, 1920 the Herald further reported, “The contract for the YV Graded School has been let to the Keller and Company. The building is to cost $12,500., Mr. H.E. White of Rock Hill is the architect.” (Keller and Co., at 134 West Main Street. John J. Keller and J.R. Logan).
The Herald reported on Oct. 4, 1902 – “J.W. Westerland has secured the contract to cover the Yorkville Graded School building. The roof will be of slate and the work will commence next week.”
The Record reported on Jan. 21, 1907 – “A bill was passed by the S.C. House to provide a practice school building at Winthrop College. Also – “Dr. D. J. Brimm former supt. of the Catawba Military Academy was elected principal of the Yorkville Graded School.”
The C.F. Sherer Real Estate sales of Feb. 2, 1917 reported the following properties for sale: J.F. Kell, a seven room dwelling and a 1.5 acre lot on East Liberty Street, A.D. Dorsett, house and store room on Charlotte Street, Mrs. Hattie Berry’s home on East Jefferson St., with four rooms, and the John F. Youngblood residence, a five room house next to the graded school, the lot is 100 – 330 feet.”
YORKVILLE FEMALE COLLEGE ENROLLMENT
The Rock Hill Herald of March 16, 1902 included an article titled “List of the Maidens Who Attended the Yorkville Female Academy a Half Century Ago.” The article is reproduced below. Miss Emma Roach has shown The Herald a copy of the catalogue of the officers and pupils of the Yorkville Female College for the year 1855-56. Her mother, who was Miss M. Watson, was a student in the college and preserved the catalogue.
A list of the pupils will no doubt be very interesting reading to many of The Herald’s patrons and we append the names below.
Senior Class: Frances E. Barron, Martha A. Meek, Elizabeth M. Ross, Yorkville, SC; Jane E. Hemphill, Eudora M. Love, Mary J. May, Mary E. McElwee, Margaret Pressley, Mary E. Sandifer, Lucinda Stewart, Lucinda Tate, Iantha J. Wallace, Mary F. White, York County, SC; Julia Wallace, Union County, SC.
Junior Class: Elizabeth Boulware, Mary Brice, Martha E. Caldwell, Harriett S. Cameron, Mary A. Douglass, Eliza J. Miller, Martha E. Simonton, Fairfield County, SC; Mary A. Clawson, Frances D. Crenshaw, Sophia J. Herndon, Julia McClure, Amanda C. Moore, Laura A. Ross, Yorkville, SC; Catherine F. Hall, Catherine M. McElwee, York County, SC; Catherine N. Caldwell, Isabella J. Mills, Jane A. Mills, Elizabeth Moffatt, Patience A. Stringfellow, Chester County, SC; Lorenna H. Harris, Margaret P. Spratt, Mecklenburg County, NC; Jannie F. McLean, Lincoln County, NC; Margaret G. Saye, Sophia Vandlew, Union County, SC; Elizabeth F. Stowe, Feriba M. Stowe, Gaston County, NC; N. A. Childers, Cave Spring, GA; Eliza Warren, Walterboro, SC.
Sophomore Class: Catherine Adams, Sarah Allison, Martha Guy, Amanda Hanna, Margaret Partlow, Jane E. Poag, Mary Pressley, Nancy R. Pressley, Sarah Rowell, Louisa M. Sadler, Mary Tate, Catherine Tate, Margaret A. Watson, York County, SC; Amanda McCants, Ellen O’Leary, Yorkville, SC; Frances D. Douglass, Mary McMullen, Salena Neely, Delila Ross, Margaret Ross, Chester County, SC; Mary E. Anderson, Greenville County, SC; M. Marion Bookman, Jane C. Harper, Fairfield County, SC; Anna J. Johnson, Barnwell County, SC; Eliza McLean, Lincoln County, NC; Laura Miller, Kershaw County, SC; Victoria M. Sharpe, Richland County, SC; Jane E. Strong, Tipton County, TN; R. Julia Warren, Walterboro, SC.
First Collegiate Class: Mary H. Adams, Sarah R. Adickes, Coosa Anderson, Martha J. Clawson, M. Eliza Crenshaw, Harriet S. Evans, Frances M. Witherspoon, Martha Youngblood, Yorkville, SC; Jane M. Ratchford, Ann C. Starr, Laura Steele, Margaret Steele, Ella H. Wright, York County, SC; Mary L. Cunningham, Sarah E. Cunningham, Liberty Hill, SC; Violet Erwin, Mecklenburg County, NC; Betsie Jones, Darlington County, SC; Artemisia D. Sharpe, Richland County, SC; Amanda J. Springs, Mecklenburg County, NC; Leila E. Wallace, Union County, SC.
Partial Students: Nancy Erwin, Chester County, SC; Matilda R. Fewell, York County, SC. Preparatory Department: Frances E. Adams, Mary A. Adickes, Mary A. Anderson, Susan N. H. Anderson, Julia Beard, Susan A. Boyd, Mary A. Boyd, Frances Brown, E. Catherine Briggs, Sarah E. Crenshaw, Mary J. Elder, Sarah A. Enloe, Margaret E. Herndon, Jane E. Latta, Martha Love, Lorenna Love, Sarah J. McAdams, Emma McClure, Sophia M. Meek, Mary Pagan, Eliza
Porter, Margaret Porter, Mary C. Steele, Mary M. Walker, Louisa Witherspoon, Laura Wood, Yorkville, SC; Jane H. Adams, Angeline Collins, Catherine Foreman, Cornelia Massey, Ella Rainey, Elizabeth Whitesides, York County, SC; Susan Meek, Marshall, MS; Martha Pauling, Fairfield County, SC; Louisa Poag, Chester County, SC; Mary Warren, Walterboro, SC.
Graduating Class: Frances E. Barron, Eudora M. Love, Mary F. McElwee, Martha A. Meek, Elizabeth M. Ross, Mary E. Sandifer, Lucinda Stewart, Lucinda Tate, Julia H. Wallace, Iantha J. Wallace, Mary E. White.
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
ADDITIONAL DATA: An early description of the Yorkville Female Institute from an ad in the Yorkville Enquirer stated, “The building is of brick and large; being about 125 feet long, by 60 feet wide. Besides a large hall for examinations, it contains recitation rooms, and a large number of private rooms for boarding purposes. The building is in good repair, and at least forty or fifty students may be accommodated with boarding in the Institution. The building is located in a beautifUl grove, in the suburbs of the village.”5 Photographs and drawings of the Yorkville Female Institute show a three story brick building with four free standing columns across the front, lots of windows, wide steps leading up to the second level, and a parapet with a bell at the front of the building. Classes were held in this building as early as fall 1855.6 School ads in the Yorkville Enquirer from the 1850s and 1860s identify the school as the Yorkville Female College.
The school offered classes in spelling, reading, grammar, geography, collegiate department, piano, harp, guitar, embroidery, drawing and French. Rates of tuition were as follows: $6 for spelling and reading, $10 for grammar and geography, $15 for collegiate, $20 for piano, harp or guitar, $10 for embroidery and drawing, and $15 for French.7 Students of the Institution were assured in a Yorkville Enquirer ad dated December 20, 1860, “We have ONLY ONE Teacher from the North – die accomplished Instructress in French. She is from Philadelphia and has not one drop of abolition blood in her veins.”8 The school remained in session until 1863. Ads from January 28, 1863 through February 25, 1863 state, “The Exercises of this Institution will be resumed on Monday, the 2d day of February next.” Classes resumed in February 1864 and an ad dated January 20, 1864 lists the rates of tuition as “1st Primary Department $25, 2nd Primary Department $30, Collegiate $35, Music on the Piano $35…payable in advance by Cash or Note or Country Produce.”9 Students were assured that boarding was available with some of the best families…. HISTORY OF THE MCCELVEY CENTER By Nancy Sambets (Information courtesy of and from: YCGHS – The Quarterly Magazine, March 06)
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.