Addie Hutchison Caldwell – Born in Mecklenburg Co., N.C., on May 11, 1851. Died Jan. 1, 1884. Buried in Laurelwood Cemetery. Married in Charlotte at Rural Hill, home of her half-sister, Mrs. J. Springs Davidson, on June 7, 1876, to Walter Joel Rawlinson, son of Col. Joel Woodward and Jane (Moore) Rawlinson of York Co., S.C. Walter J. Rawlinson was born in Yorkville, S.C., on Aug. 30, 1845, and died on April 22, 1928.
City Directories and History: 1908 – M.H. Sandifer, 1913 – M.S. Robbins, J.A. Robins, 1917 – Vacant, 1946 – NA, 1963 – NA
This lot was transformed into commercial usage very early and was used for a filling station, car dealership and later a real estate office. The lot remains commercial in 2014, the corner of East White Street and Caldwell, across the street from the Episcopal Church.
This was the historic home of Anne H. White’s sister, Mrs. Adeline Hutchison Caldwell. Following the death of her husband in Charlotte, NC, Mrs. Caldwell returned to Rock Hill with her children and lived in this home for decades. It was a fitting location for the widow who was surrounded by her own children as well as those of Anne’s.
The last White Street lot of Mrs. White to be considered is that which is designated on the attached plat as “Johnson.” In our discussion of A. T. Black’s Lot 8 North, we learned that Doctor James M. Johnson bought Lot 8 and the lot immediately behind it to the north—a lot that fronted on White Street—so that he could create an alley from White Street into Main Street. His Main Street lot once again became the property of A. T. Black after Doctor Johnson moved to Mississippi. His homeplace lot, that which is marked “Johnson,” was sold c.1857-58 to Thomas Thomason. No deed has been found for this particular transaction. But on April 12, 1862, Thomasson sold the lot to a half-sister of Mrs. Ann H. White, Mrs. Adeline I homeplace lot, that which (Hutchison) Caldwell (Mrs. David T. Caldwell), of Mecklenburg County, N. C. The price of the lot was $1,000. The lot fronted on White Street for 109.56¢; the rear line was 159.72¢; the eastern boundary was 323.40¢; the western boundary was 321.42¢. The writer, after examining the accompanying plat, believes that the last two measurements have been reversed. There was, from the beginning, a large two-story frame house on the lot, together with a variety of typical outbuildings. When Mrs. Caldwell acquired the property, she remodeled and enlarged the residence. At her death in 1875, the lot was inherited by her daughter, Addie Caldwell, who was married to Walter Joel Rawlinson. In due course, the property descended to Mrs. Rawlinson’s three children: Doctor James Richmond Stokes, Rock Hill dentist. The corner lot, with the residence, was sold by Mrs. Addie R. Stokes on January 29, 1907, to Myron H. Sandifer, for $5,500. After that time, the property passed through several other owners until it became commercial real estate
probably in the 1920’s or 1930’s. In 1890 a large portion (90-100¢ frontage on Caldwell Street) was cut off and used for a home site for Joel W. Rawlinson. Further, at some time after 1907 one of the owners of the large part of the old lot (with depth of about 229¢) sold off enough land from the rear portion of the lot for another rental house, facing Caldwell Street. The writer remembers an attractive two-story frame house in that area in the 1930’s and 1940’s. Three known occupants of that part of the old lot were Doctor Louis Friedheim, Roddey Reid, and, finally, Frank Allen. It was not too long until all of Caldwell became business property.
[Information provided via Along the Land’s Ford Road – Vol. I, 2008 by William B. White, Jr.]
The Rock Hill Herald reported on Sept. 23, 1899 – “Mrs. R.B. Mills and family of Blackstock came to Rock Hill to make their home and are living in the Rawlinson House at the corner of Caldwell and White Streets. Mr. Mills is a Confederate Vet., living in California to benefit his health. He served under Capt. Roddey.”
The RH Herald reported on May 12, 1900 – “Mr. W. Harry Wylie will be connected with the Catawba Power Company and his family will return to Rock Hill and occupy their old home in Oakland. On May 26th it reported, the W.H. Wylie family are now here and for the present will board at the home of Mr. Mills at the corner of White and Caldwell Streets.”
On March 6, 1901 the Herald reported, “Dr. R.S. Beckham, the druggist who has been connected with the firm of A.J. Evans and Co., has accepted a position with M.H. Sandifer and will begin his work on Monday.”
The Herald reported on June 7, 1902 – “That M.H. Sandifer is organizing the Standard Drug and Manufacturing Company. Incorporators are Mr. Sandifer, A.J. Evans, and C.M. Kuykendall. The capital stock is $10,000. offered at $100. per share. They intend to add 30″ to the existing building for paints, oils, and other rough goods. The present store room will be refurbished and will had prescription cases and showcases for drugs and fancy articles. They will manufacture Campbell’s Anti-Ferment and other drugs. This will give Rock Hill three strong drug firms.”
The Herald reported on July 16, 1902 – “this lot was offered for sale for the new federal building. It was offered by J.W. Rawlinson and had 110 ft. on East White and 125 ft., on Caldwell Street.”
The Herald on Dec. 3, 1902 reported – “Capt. J.W. Marshall has rented the Rawlinson house on White Street, recently vacated by Mrs. Mill. Mr. J.R. Reid and wife will occupy the house on Hampton Street to be vacated by Capt. Marshall.”
The Record reported on Jan. 3, 1907 – “Dr. M.H. Sandifer, of the Standard Drug Co., has bought the Caldwell place on the corner of Caldwell and East White Street, which has been advertised in the Record as an elegant hotel site. Dr. Haile of Lancaster has bought the house now occupied by Dr. Sandifer.”
The McElwee Store ledger of 1915 states that James A. Robbins and wife Margaret S. (livery and feed at 133 East White St.), were living at this address.
The Herald reported, on April 15, 1925, “That a building permit was issued for Rock Hill Oil Company for a filling station on the corner of Caldwell and White Streets at a cost of $750.”
The Record reported on April 18, 1927 – “That John M. Simrill, recently associated
with Rock Hill Supply Company as a salesman, has entered to grocery business. He is located on East White Street, next to Starnes Plumbing Company. He had worked previously for the Rock Hill Grocery Company and Gill and Moore Grocery Company.”
Click on the More Information > link found below the picture column for additional data and an image of Rock Hill’s mid 19th century layout showing the corner lot which became Caldwell Street and White Street. The arrow points to the Johnson home which was later that of the Caldwell house.
R&R NOTES: The Hutchison family connections were extremely important to the development of Rock Hill and elsewhere. The White Family Album contained numerous family members of note including members of the McCutchen family, (the niece of Ann White, Addie Caldwell, A.E. Hutchison….)
Rebecca B. Hutchison. Born June 19, 1820. Died Nov. 2, 1843. Married the Rev. James R. Gilland. Born Apr. 30, 1810. Died Dec. 16, 1877.
1. David Rebecca Gilland. Born Oct. 26, 1843. Died Aug. 2, 1845.
2. Mary Jane (―Jennie‖) Gilland. Born near what is now Rock Hill, S.C., on Sept. 15, 1841. Died June 4, 1900, near Nesmith, S.C. Buried at Indiantown Presbyterian Church. Married Feb. 14, 1859, to Col. James McCutchen, C.S.A. Born Williamsburg Co., S.C., on March 8, 1830. Died on Sept. 25, 1897. Buried at Indiantown Church.
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.