117 – 121 West White Street
City Directories and History: 1908 – Rock Hill Roller Mill, E.L. Barnes, 1922 – Fant’s Fruit Market (Wm. W. Fant at 119 W. White St.)
The Herald reported on Sept. 5, 1896, “that there was quiet a site on White Street at Neisler’s Gin yesterday. Twenty two horse wagons were standing, loaded and ready for ginning. Several wagon loads had already been ginned and two wagon left because there was no place to stand.”
The Herald reported on Jan. 31, 1899 – “A large fire on Jan. 29th in downtown Rock Hill. Bales of cotton on the Southern Depot Platform caught fire and later flames spread to the building of the RH Construction Company. The entire building was destroyed. The flames them spread to the R.T. Fewell Warehouse and the dry kiln of Mr. Holler.
The Herald on April 7, 1900 – “The Rock Hill Roller Mills is erecting a building adjoining its mill to be used as a store. The present storeroom will be converted into storage for corn, meal and flour.”
In the Fewell Warehouse 316 bales of cotton were destroyed. The fire almost spread to the stable and the roller mill. Mr. S.J. Brown of the Rock Hill Roller Mill and his men managed to stop the fire there. They also saved Mr. Brown’s House. The Rock Hill Construction Co., was the property of Mr. L.L. Clyburn of Westville. Mr. Holler lost $1,000. in materials.”
The RH Herald on Feb. 4, 1899 reported, “The Rock Hill Milling Company is an important new enterprise. Incorporators are; S.J. Brown and L.G. Dobson of McDowell Co., N.C., L.L. Clyburn of Westville, S.C., and L.M. Davis of Rock Hill. The company has purchased a lot on White Street southeast of Neistler’s Ginnery and will build a four story building with full roller process machinery for the manufacture of five grades of meal, grits and stock feed. There are two existing cottages which will be combined into one dwelling on the eastern corner of the site to be occupied by S.J. Brown.”
The Herald reported on July 22, 1899 – “The RH Roller Mill is now in operation. It has a capacity of 75 barrels of flour and 1,000 bushels of meal a day. The patronage has been so good that it is being run day and night.”
The Herald reported on Aug 26, 1899 – “Brick are now being hauled for the construction of the Rock Hill Bonded Warehouse. It will be erected on White Street, opposite Neistler’s Ginnery.”
The Herald reported on Nov. 16, 1899 – “The Rock Hill Roller Mills has a new delivery wagon manufactured by Mr. C.L. Wroten.”
The Herald reported on July 78, 1900 – “The Rock Hill Roller Mills will install two elevators, of 15,000 bushel capacity, one for wheat and the other for corn.”
The Herald reported on Sept. 8, 1900 – “The foundation is being laid for a three story building adjoining the mill house of the Rock Hill Roller Mill. The first story is brick and the upper floors are corrugated iron. This building will include storage space, an ice house, a meat market, a barber shop, and a shoe shop. ”
The Herald reported on Sept. 15, 1900 – “The Neistler Ginnery is doing such a good business that the adjacent street is crowded with waiting wagons all day.”
The Herald contained an ad on Aug. 21, 1901 -“for the Rock Hill Roller Mill, announcing they had repaired and installed new machinery and can now grind 300 bushels of wheat and 500 bushels of corn – E.L. Barnes.” The Herald also reported on Sept. 11, 1901 that – “Mrs. L. A. Brown, Mr. L. E. Brown, and Capt. L. M. Davis have sold their interest in the RH Roller Mill to E.L. Barnes, L.L. Clyburn of Westville, and J.A. Maxwell of Blacksburg, S.C. The business will continue under the same name with Mr. Barnes as the manager.
They have employed S.W. Lakin of Baltimore as the head miller.” and the Herald reported on Nov. 6, 1901 – “While engaged in some work at the mill last Friday, Mr. Henry Clyburn (in 1908 he is working at the Aragon Mill and living at #18 in the village) had the misfortune of having his middle finger of his right hand severely lacerated in some machinery. The wound, however, is not serious.”
The Herald reported Oct. 11, 1902 – “Mr. E.L. Barnes, Pres. of the RH Roller Mill, went to City Council to seek help with his property tax. The mill lot has frontage on White Street of 142 ft and runs back 160 ft., and is assessed at $1,728. The adjoining Neistler lot is 107 ft frontage and 200 ft deep and is assessed at $258. And the Chicora Cotton Mill lot across the street is assessed at $648. ”
The Rock Hill Record on Feb. 14, 1907 – “Mr. Calvin Stevenson will start up a factory for the manufacture of horse collar pads. It will locate on part of the Rock Hill Roller Mill site on White Street.”
The Rock Hill Record of Jan. 22, 1912 contained an ad for the Piedmont Marble and Granite Co., T.B. Young manager on West White Street.
The RH Record reported on Oct. 12, 1922 -“The Piedmont Marble and Granite Co., of Yorkville, has rented the middle large room of the roller mill property on West White St., from Poag Real Estate. Mr. T.B. Young of Charlotte will be in charge and move to Rock Hill.”
The Herald reported on July 14, 1925 – “That the Tri-City Fruit Company will install a modern cold storage facility at the plant on West White Street at a cost of $13,000. The plant will be able to store ten cars of produce, and will be similar to the plant in Rocky Mount, N.C.”
The Record reported on March 31, 1927 – “That the safe of the Catawba Lumber Company on West Main Street was entered by a burglar and about $100. was stolen. There was also an attempt to enter the Tri-City Fruit Company and recent attempts at the Rock Hill Coca-Cola Company and Cooper Furniture Company.”
The Record reported on April 18, 1927 – “A mammoth egg cold storage plant has been installed by the Tri-City Fruit Company and opened today. It has the capacity of 2,000 cases or 720,000 eggs. V.H. Blankenship, President says it will accommodate the egg production of York and surrounding counties.”
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.