Clarks Hill – Lake Thurmond History: Acquisition of property to create this massive project began as early as the 1930s and continued for over twenty years. The lake was created by the Army Corp. of Engineers, starting with construction in 1946, taking another six years to complete and fill. Prior to the creation of the lake, the areas along the Savannah River were prime farming grounds and home to numerous families. Each of these were required to move and the lands on which they resided appraised for both crops and land values. The attached record is the documentation associated with a specific parcel, covered by the lake on the S.C. side of the river.
In 2015, R&R’s co-founder, W.B. Fairey, Sr., helped gather this collection for a printed book by Bobby Edmonds of McCormick, S.C. We wish to thank the Army Corp. of Engineers for their professional assistance in gathering these papers for distribution.
Additional information on the lake maybe read at: Clarks Hill Lake
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.