“A heritage plat map via the Mayhugh Collection……”
City Directories and History: A collection of overlapping historic plats are mainly from Chester County, S.C., diagramming the locations and geographic parameters of hundreds of family farm and plats of historic importance. These refined maps are the work of Chester resident and historian, Tom Mayhugh who graciously provided them for display and research on Roots and Recall in 2017.
Each is provided to and preserved on R&R by the creator to enhance local genealogical – historic preservation. As such R&R expects any use of theses to be credited appropriately! Click on each map title to reveal the plats for numerous sections of Chester County. Additional Mayhugh Heritage Maps are also available in Lancaster and York Counties.
Click on the Greater Landsford Community Plat map found under the primary image for enlargeable map.
INDEX TO MAP NAMES:
Bready, Robert – 1792 Brice, Walter Dr. – 1852 Campbell, Francis Carter, Henry N. – 1819 Cherry, William – 1852 Clayton, Jeremiah – 1836 Craig, Alexander – 1814 Crawford – 1830 Crosset, Andrew – 1854 Crosset, William – 1820 Culp, Henry – 1830 Culp, John – 1845 Culp, Peter – 1768 Davie, Wm. R. – 1793 Davis, Carrie E. Dunn, James – 1768 Dunn, Mary – 1840 Eaves, Nathaniel R. – 1848 Faris, Thomas – 1811 Ferguson, Green – 1852 Ferguson, Henry – 1836 Ferguson, Jonathan – 1843 Ferguson, Sarah – 1843 Gordon, Aaron – 1799 Green, Allen Jones Major – 1819 Hall, Dr. 1820 Hall, Thomas – 1811 Hamilton, Mary – 1786 Hamilton, Patrick – 1768 Hefley, Andrew – 1825 Hefley, Elizabeth – 1825 Hefley, John – 1825 Hefley, Mary – 1825 Hughs, Thomas – 1755 Hyatt, Elijah – 1818 Ingram, Ezekial – 1805 Ingram, Nancy – 1830 Johnston, Benjamin – 1836 Johnston, Benjamin B. – 1845 Johnson, J. W. L. – 1845 Johnston, Jane M. 1869 Johnston, Joseph – 1869 Johnston, William – 1827 Keenan, Ellen Kearney, Stephen – 1852 Kee, Cephus – 1836 Kennedy, R. E. – 1853 Lee, Daniel – 1804 Lemon, James – 1835 Lemon, Moses – 1814 Lewis, Titus – 1836 Liles, William – 1840 Lock – 1852 Maxwell, Hamilton – 1817 McClure – 1852 McCreary, John – 1806 McCrorey, John – 1814 McFadden, C. W. – 1869 McFadden, Harvey – 1848 McFadden, Isaac McFadden, John – 1853 McMillan, Ann – 1840 McMillan, James – 1840 McMillan, Jane – 1854 McMillan, William – 1791 Mills, Robert Gill – 1835 Neely, Thomas-1806 Nightingale, Edward – 1792 Nunnery, Amos – 1845 Nunnery, Henry – 1869 Pride, Frederick L. J. -1814 Rieves, John – 1819 Rieves, Robert – 1819 Rieves, Sarah – 1819 Reives, William Cook – 1814 Robinson, James – 1785 Robinson, Robert Esq. – 1811 Robinson, Peter – 1793 Rock, Robert – 1814 Roper, Charles B. – 1830 Rowell – 1836 Sleeker, George – 1821 Sleeker, William – 1805 Sturgis, William – 1853 Tate, William – 1807 Thomas, J. A. Capt. – 1904 Thomas, Lilly L. – 1904 Thompson, C. S. Usher, David – 1820 Ventures, David Walker, J. A. Dr. – 1852 Walker, Thomas – 1848 White, Meadow – 1841 White, Roda – 1842 Wylie, 1820 Name Index Beckham, L. A. – 1853 Bradley, Robert H. – 1857 Brady, John – 1869 Brown, A. B. – 1855 Carter, Alexander – 1808 Carter, Jesse – 1806 Carter, Reuben – 1829 Carter, Robert N. – 1823 Carter, Thomas – 1805 Cherry, Gregory – 1826 Cherry, William – 1821 Christie, Abishai – 1820 Christopher, Emanuel – 1875 Clifton, Jesse C. – 1849 Cline, Philip – 1797 Culp, John R. – 1857 Culp, Henry – 1836 Culp, Uriah J.- 1875 Eaves, N. R. – 1836 Fee, Robert – 1799 Fee, Robert Fee Jr. – 1825 Fee, William – 1827 Foster, John – 1801 Fudge, Robert H. -1831 Greer, George – 1786 Graves, Patrick – 1801 Greer, Thomas – 1830 Grierson, George – 1764 Guthrie, James – 1829 Guthrie, Paul – 1829 Harbison, Alexander – 1821 Harbison, Elizabeth – 1821 Harbison, James – 1797 Harbison, Jane – 1826 Harbison, John – 1826 Harper, Williamson – 1802 Houze, Thomas – 1855 Hudson, William – 1794 Hyatt, Benjamin C. – 1838 Hyatt, David – 1805 Hyatt, Elijah Jr. – 1841 Hyatt, Hannah – 1838 Hyatt, Ruth – 1805 Hyder A. Davie – 1839 Jordan, Josiah – 1836 Jordan, Uriah – 1837 Jordan, William – 1847 Kenmore, James – 1797 Kenmore, John -1839 Knox, Jennet – 1767 Lee, Frederick – 1802 Lee, Daniel – 1805 Martin, Robert McClure, J.J. – 1875 McFadden, Harvey – 1875 McFadden, James – 1818 McFadden, John – 1818 McFadden, Robert – 1818 McFadden, Samuel – 1847 McFadden, Thaddeus – 1903 McKenney, William – 1829 McKennon, John – 1772 McMullan, Eliza J. – 1906 McMullan, John T. – 1906 Murphy, John D. A. – 1830 Neely, James – 1801 Neely, Mary – 1801 Neely, Thomas – 1801 Parrish, Augustus – 1836 Potts, Thomas H. Dr. – 1818 Reeves, Robert – 1827 Reeves, Sarah – 1827 Reives, George – 1825 Reives, James – 1825 Reives, John – 1821 Reives, William – 1801 Shadrick, William – 1794 Shurley, Eli – 1855 Shurley, Eli Eugene – 1875 Simmons, Samuel – 1826 Sleeker, George – 1821 Slegar, Caspar – 1755 Stinson, D. G. – 1849 Tharp, P. – 1847 Walker, Milton – 1875 Walker, William – 1820 White, Ervin – 1855 White, Peter – 1836 White, Robert – 1829 White, Thomas – 1847 White, William – 1829 White, William A. – 1848 Woods, James -1800 Wood, Mary – 1802 Wood, William – 1801
JAMES AND ELIZABETH WYLIE WALKER AND DESCENDANTS – On February 6, 1791, James Walker purchased one hundred fifty acres of land west of the Catawba River and north of Fort Lawn. The following day his son-in-law William McMillan received title to two hundred sixty acres on the east branches of Tinker’s Creek a few miles northwest of the Walker land. These
families came to South Carolina from Northern Ireland, and were a part of the Covenanter community. James Walker’s wife was Elizabeth Wylie, who was a cousin of Dr. Samuel Brown Wylie, D.D., who came from County Antrim to Philadelphia in 1797, taught at the University of Pennsylvania and was the first Covenanter minister ordained in America. Dr. Wylie accompanied Rev. James McKinney and preached in South Carolina. He was an uncle of Rev. Samuel Wylie who organized the Reformed Presbyterian Church at Eden, later Sparta, Illinois. Elizabeth Walker, nee Wylie, was buried in the Old Stone Graveyard near Land’s Ford. One tombstone serves as a memorial to her and to her youngest son, William Walker. William died 1832 in his fiftieth year, and Elizabeth died 1806, in her 68th year. Very close to her grave is the stone of William Wylie who also died 1806 aged 66 years, along with other members of his family, evidently Elizabeth’s relatives. James Walker died about 1816, but his tombstone has not been found among those of many family members buried there. His will, made 1811, mentioned “money due me in the Kingdom of Ireland”. James Walker was survived by his daughter, Jane McMillan, in the following paragraphs, and a daughter Margaret Faris and sons John, Thomas and William. John Walker married Elizabeth Hood land has many descendants in the midwest. Thomas Walker married first Margaret Guthrie, daughter of Paul Guthrie.
William Walker was partially educated for the ministry, but eye trouble prevented further study. He owned more than one thousand acres of land, and has descendants living in Chester County. Jane Walker married William McMillan in Northern Ireland, and their first child, John, was born at sea on the way to South Carolina. Their ship, loaded with a cargo of salt, was wrecked, but they were not far from land and the men on board were able to row the boat the rest of the way. According to recollections of descendants in Illinois, Jane was paralyzed for a time after John’s birth, and she sat on the bags of salt to nurse him. John married and in 1819 went to near Sparta, Randolph County, Illinois, part of a migration which eventually included hundreds of Chester County people. He took with him the large family Bible with gold-edged pages, a large chest and a dulcimer, all brought from Ireland, but they burned years later when the Preston home burned near Sparta. John’s daughter, Hannah Alice, married John Stewart Burns, Sr., of another prominent Chester County family, whose great-granddaughter, Thelma Burns Campbell, of Coulterville, Illinois, has done a great amount of research on many Chester County families who moved to Illinois.
The oldest daughter of William and Jane Walker McMillan was Mary W., who married William Dunn, a land owner on the north branches of Little Rocky Creek. William died about the time their sixth child was born in 1827, and in 1841 Mary Dunn and her children traveled by wagon to live near her brother, John, near Sparta, Illinois. Her daughter Jane Dunn married James C. Smith who was likely born in the northern part of Fairfield County. William Cuthbertson of Girard, Kansas, is a great-grandson of Jane Dunn Smith.
In the summer of 1804, several weeks before Jane Walker McMillan gave birth to twins, her husband William McMillan was thrown from his horse while riding to church and died from his injuries. One of the Sturgis, and was the mother of Mary Elizabeth Sturgis, who married Elijah Cherry. Mary Elizabeth Cherry was the great grand historical research there. Mrs. Wade owns a part of William McMillan’s original land grant. The other twin was Robert McMillan, M.D., who distinguished himself in the field of medicine. After his elder brother, William, refused the opportunity to receive an education with the sum of $300 from the sale of swine, Robert, qualified himself in a neighboring academy and entered the University of Pennsylvania in 1828. He graduated from medical school two years later, and studied six years in Paris. He served three years as a surgeon in the Seminole War in Florida. In 1847 he began the practice of medicine in San Francisco, California, where he became a highly successful surgeon, and was a member of the Society of California Pioneers. (Courtesy of the CDGHS Bulletin)
The Rock Hill Herald reported on Dec. 1, 1899 – An article on Stores in the Landsford Area – “The store opened in Sept. by J.M. D____, is doing a good business. A. K. Glasscock has put up a store at the Rowells Crossroads. Mr. Everett C. Fudge has a store which carries a mixed line of goods. Mr. Arthur Westbrook will soon erect a store at the crossroads on the Landsford Road. Mr. Claude Collins has moved into his new storehouse on his place and has a blacksmith shop as well.”
The Herald reported on Aug. 29, 1900 – “the residence in the Landsford section owned and occupied by Mr. D.W. Steadman and family was consumed by fire last Saturday, together with all the household effects. The house was comparatively new and is the second home to have burned on that site.”
Tivoli is the name of the plantation home of General William Richardson Davie (1756-1820), of the University of North Carolina, Governor of North Carolina, and Minister to France in 1798, appointed by President Adams. Its location is in eastern Chester County, South Carolina, on the Catawba River near the Lancaster and York County lines. General Davie is said to have named his homesite for the ancient Roman City of Tivoli, which he visited while minister to France. On a recent arduous exploration with my friend L. H. McMurray, we located the exact location of die old mansion, finding some evidences of the house’s foundation of huge stones cut by an expert artisan. We have made some efforts towards restoring this worthy landmark, enlisting the aid of the D. A. R. and the South Carolina Historical Commission, which has graciously placed a marker to commemorate the spot. Some day we hope this area will be turned into a park since General Davie willed to the State of South Carolina four acres of land near this home site.
Also – William Richardson Davie, soldier, governor, statesman, educator, bears a national reputation. He was born at Agremont, England, June 20, 1756. When he was about seven years of age, he came to this country with his father, and was adopted by his uncle, William Richardson, a Presbyterian minister, who lived in the settlement of Waxhaw.
LOCAL IMAGE GALLERY
Young Davie attended Queens College in Charlotte and was graduated from Princeton with first honors in the Autumn of 1776. He began to study law in Salisbury, North Carolina, and was licensed to practice in 1780, but spent the greater part of the next seven years in the American Revolution.
General Davie is known as “The Father of North Carolina University” because of his many efforts in its behalf. The university, in turn, awarded him its first honorary degree. In 1803 Davie was an unsuccessful candidate for Congress. He refused to solicit personally for votes. He believed that the office should seek the man not the man the office.
Saddened by the death of his wife, he retired in 1805 to his plantation, “Tivoli’’ at Landsford on the Catawba River in Chester County, to enjoy his farm, friends, horses and books. There he served as the first President of the South Carolina Agricultural Society. Yet there was to be one final public honor to be bestowed on the aging Davie. In December, 1819, he was appointed by Joel R. Poinsett as a commissioner on the Board of Public Works in South Carolina. As a commissioner he did much to build the foundation for the building of Landsford Canal and Locks until his death on November 29, 1820.
(Information in part from: Chester County Heritage Book, Vol. I, Edt. by Collins – Knox, Published by the Chester Co Hist. Society – Jostens Printing, 1982)
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.