City Directories and History: 1908 – J.H. Marion, National Exchange Bank, Fidelity Trust Company, J. Lyles Glenn (Attorney) *** See history this page, 1940 – Joseph Lindsay Insurance Company, 1958 – Masonic Temple, Chester Lodge No. 19 (AFM), Jacob T. Barron, Chester Commandery, Chester Chapter No 15 (OES), 1978 – Masonic Temple, Jacob T. Barron, Chester Chapter No. 15 (OES), Chester Commandery No. 7 (AFM), Franklin Chapter No. 22 (RAM), Order of Eastern Star, Order of Rainbow Girls.
Built originally in circa 1890, with Victorian elements of design the building was heavily remodeled with it’s current design in about 1919. This lot also served as the second location of the Chester jail built at the close of the 18th century, circa 1798.
At the end of the square we have the Balsar Building, the Masonic Hall and the Marion Building all built probably in the 1890’s. The hill remains today much as it was in 1875, with one exception the Confederate Monument unveiled in 1909. [Recollections of Chester – D.S. Mayes]
The Yorkville Enquirer reported on Jan. 7, 1891 – “The new Exchange Bank, with B.M. Spratt as cashier and Thomas H. White as Asst. Cashier, has commenced business.”
The Rock Hill Herald reported on Jan. 8, 1902 – “Mr. T.H. White, who has been cashier of the Exchange Bank of Chester, has resigned his position and has bought the interest of Mr. T.B. Woods in the firm of Joseph Wylie and Company. Members of the firm are now; the Estate of the late Joseph Wylie, John G. White, T.H. White, and John R. Alexander. The health of Mr. Woods has caused him to be confined to his home.”
The current building at this site is reported to have been constructed in 1906.
Informative link: National Register, click on the More Information link located under the primary image for added information.
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
JOHN LYLES GLENN, SR.
“Was One Of Chester’s Most Prominent Sons—A Good Man and True.”
John Lyles Glenn, Sr., one of Chester county’s foremost lawyers and best citizens, died Tuesday evening at eight o’clock at his home on Lancaster Street, following a stroke of apoplexy about ten days previous, though his health had been gradually declining for the past few years. Mr. Glenn was a son of Dr. and Mrs. Ephraim Lyles Glenn, who lived in the Lowys section, was sixty-nine years of age. He attended the schools of the community, and then matriculated at Wofford College, from which institution he graduated four years later, and then went to Vanderbilt University, where he received his degree in law. Coming to Chester to locate, Mr. Glenn soon had a large and lucrative practice, and on both the criminal and civil sides of the court he had been engaged in many of the most notable cases tried in this county. Mr. Glenn had served as a member of the city council years ago, and was chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Chester schools for many years. In these positions of trust and responsibility and in every other trust committed to him, he rendered faithful and efficient service for his fellow-citizens, and the community owes him a debt of gratitude for his labors. He was a member of the public works commission, which was in charge of the water, lights and sewerage development, when Chester passed out of the chrysalis stage some thirty or thirty-five years ago, and emerged into the stature and dimensions of a little city. During the stirring days of the early nineties when partisan politics ran rampant in Chester county, Mr. Glenn refused to be swept off his feet and while he took sides he deported himself in such a manner as to win the confidence of all, and in 1869 was elected to the State Senate, where his sound wisdom and lofty character at once projected him to the front as one of that body’s leading and most influential members. But he had little taste for politics, and one term was sufficient for him. In 1912 he was a delegate to the historic national convention in Baltimore, which resulted in the nomination of Woodrow Wilson by the Democrats as their standard-bearer; and this was an experience of which Mr. Glenn was proud and about which he liked to talk.
After the United States’ entrance into the World War Mr. Glenn was made Food Administrator for Chester county, and was also district chairman of the legal advisory board.
Mr. Glenn was a member of Bethel M. E. church, and from soon after his connection with the church a member of the Board of Stewards. For twenty-five years he was the faithful Superintendent of the Sunday School, and when he gave up that responsible post he had the satisfaction of seeing his mantle fall upon the shoulders of his son, Mr. James H. Glenn, the present Superintendent. For several years Mr. Glenn had been the chairman of the Board of Trustees of Wofford College, and he took an active and earnest interest in that institution’s affairs. For several years Mr. Glenn had been division counsel for the Seaboard Air Line Railway Company, and had been the railroad’s attorney in some very important litigation. At the time of his death, and for several years previous, he had been associated in the practice of the law with his son, Mr. James H. Glenn. For a number of years he had been president of the National Exchange Bank.
Mr. Glenn is survived by bis widow, who was Miss Alice Hall, and the following eight children: Mrs. W. H. McNairy, of Dillon; Mrs. Kate Glenn Hardin, of Columbia; James H. Glenn, Captain John Lyles Glenn, Jr., Mrs. Robert £. Abell and Mrs. H. L. Richardson, of Chester; Thomas Hall Glenn, of Santa Ana, Cal., and Miss Sarah Glenn, of Baltimore. His stepmother, Mrs. J. J. Glenn, of Tirzah, half brother, Frank P. Glenn, of Tirzah and two half sisters, Miss Linney Glenn, of Tirzah and Mrs. Marion Rogers, of Summerton, also survive. (Courtesy of the CDGHS – Bulletin)
*** See Louise Pettus article on Judge Glenn’s introduction of Guernsey cattle – this page!
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.
User comments always welcome - please post at the bottom of this page.