City Directories and History: Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC
“Selections are reprinted here from an address “Traditions and Reminiscences of the Parish” (July 4, 1907) delivered at a meeting of the Agricultural Society of St. James, Santee, by David Doar, president of the society. An excellent history of the parish, the address recounts many details of the French Huguenots and Anglican settlers, who developed a thriving plantation civilization, based on the growing of indigo, rice, and later cotton. Names of families, settlements, and churches are included, along with the achievements of the men and women of the parish in war and peace.]”
“President Doar’s discussion of the plantation names was near the end of his address before the agricultural society: “Starting at the western end of the Parish, ‘Owendaw’ was first owned by Governor Johnson. He it was that first tried to make salt by evaporation on one of his plantations, nearby on the coast in Christ Church Parish, which has since gone by the name of ‘Salt Pond.’ Owendaw was afterwards bought by Mr. Peter Manigault, who lived there until he died in the Civil War. It now goes by the name of ‘Manigault Barony.’
“‘Walnut Grove’ was settled by Major Percy, and was his home until bought by Mr. David Doar in 1825 or ’28. where his father and family lived until they died. It is now owned by the estate of Dr. Horace W. Leland. On this place is the old family cemetery of the Doars. “‘Kensington,’ the adjoining place, was owned by William H. Doar, now by his heirs. ‘‘‘Buck Hall’ belonged to Gov. Richard Vanderhorst. He had his family cemetery there, then it became the property of Mr. Stephen D. Doar. ‘‘‘Laurel Hill’ was settled by the Legares, and bought by R.T. Morrison in 1850, is now the home of R. Tillia Morrison. ‘“Doe Hall’ was owned by a Mr. Jones, probably the same who kept ‘Jones’s Inn,’ (32 Mile House). It was sold to Mr. R.T. Morrison, and in after years by him to Dr. Edmund and Mr. Bacot Allston, who lived there. It is now owned by James B. Morrison.
‘Tibwin’ formerly belonged to Jonah Collins, then to Mr. Matthews; later to his son-in-law, Colburn, after him to A.M. Skipper, now to H.G. Leland. “At ‘Kit Hall’ Mr. Thomas Doar’s family lived until they moved to Walnut Grove, 1825-28, now owned by M.F. Skipper. “‘The Point,’ opposite McClellanville, was the plantation of the Mouzons until bought by Col. Samuel J. Palmer. He and Dr. John S. Palmer spent the Summers there. It was later owned by J.H. Skipper, who lived there. The McClellans always owned and lived on a portion of the present site of McClellanville. The other part was the property of Mr. Matthews, then Hunt, later R.T. Morrison.
“Oak Grove,’ back of McClellan’s field, was the home of Mr. John Doar, afterwards bought by Mr. A. J. McClellan. “Palmetto,’ Mr. DuPre’s place, was settled by W.H. Wells, afterwards bought by Rev. Daniel DuPre, who made it his home. [See NSC, XXIV:5 concerning this and other DuPre holdings still owned by descendants of the early rector of St. James, Santee Parrish.] “The old house stood not far in from where the outer gates now stand. “The other places, I am not very certain about, but the Skinners, Shokes, Westburys, Rayburns, etc., lived along the coast. “I believe a family of DesChamps were there also. “Mr. Ward’s place was owned originally by Mr. Tom Butler, afterwards by Mr. Nowell.
“‘Ormond Hall,’ the next place, was occupied for years by Alexander Watson, a Scotch planter, who lost all of his family in the gale of 1822. The place was afterwards owned by Arthur Black, now by Santee Club.
“Bellfield,’ nearby, was settled by Mr. Bell, who lived there. “At Bucheit’s Bridge, on Georgetown Road, the Bucheits owned a place, which was afterwards occupied by Mr. Jack’Simons. “Isaac Skipper lived across the bridge on same road. “The Micheaux lived near a bridge of that name on the Coffee Road. “Two old bachelors, Mr. Alexander Mazyck and brother, had a place on Moss Swamp Road, and were there as late as 1812. “Mazyck Branch takes its name from them. “Coffees, Thomsons, etc., take their name from former owners. “‘Blue House’ was the plantation of the Bonneaus. ‘“Wambaw’ (upper) was the place of Theodore Gaillard. “‘Egypt,’ of Dr. Thomas Cordes. ‘“Wampee,’ of Major Thomas E. Evance. “‘Springfield,’ owned by Dr. John S. Palmer at one time. “‘Along the Santee River, starting from its mouth, first, Murphy’s Island, owned by the Horrys, then by William Lucas, who turned it from a cotton into a rice plantation, now by Santee Club. “‘Eldorado’ (see images this page), was the home of the Mottes, then the Pinckneys, now owned by Capt. Tom Pinckney. “Colonel Samuel Mortimer had a little place between Eldorado and Indianfield, at one time called Mortimer Hill. “‘Indianfield’ was originally the plantation of Jonah Collins, then the Vanderhorsts, now the Mazycks.
“‘Harrietta’ was owned first by David Deas Inglis, second by Mrs. Harriott Horry, third by Mr. Stephen D. Doar, whose father was born there, and lastly by David Doar. “‘Egremont’ was the residence of Alex Watson, bought by Mr. Nowell, then by S.D. Doar. “‘Woodville’ was owned by the Middletons, then by Dr. James Shoolbred, then by S.D. Doar, later by T. W. Graham. ‘“The Wedge,’ by the Middletons, was settled by Mr. Wm. Lucas, now the home of Mr. A.H. Lucas. “‘Pale Alto,’ owned first by Farr, second by Douxsaint, third John Axon, fourth Dr. Alex. Gadsden, fifth Stephen D. Doar, now the home of Samuel C. Doar.
“‘Bellevue,’ owned by the Lynches, but David Doar lived and planted there for many years, afterwards occupied by Dr. Nowell.
“‘Fairfield,’ owned first by the Lynches, second by Col. Thomas Pinckney, now by Capt. Thos. Pinckney. “‘Peachtree’ and ‘Peafield’ belonged to the Lynches. Thomas Lynch senior and junior lived there; their brick house burned about 1840 and in ruins now. “‘Montgomery’ (‘Oldfield’) was settled by Dr. Philip Mazyck for his son Alex. Mazyck, who lived there and was for many years Senator from this Parish; then by S.D. Doar, after by James C. Doar. “Mr. Hallwell kept an Inn and lived at the ferry (Lynches). “‘Romney’ was the residence of Dr. Philip Mazyck, then of his son-in-law, Gabriel Manigault. “‘Hampton’ was the home of Col. Daniel Horry, afterwards of the Rutledges. “‘Wambaw,’ (on creek.) owned first by the Horrys then by Mr. Wm. Lucas. “‘Elmwood’ belonged to the Horrys, was bought and settled by S.D. Doar, who lived there, Dr. Samuel Cordes also spent several years at this place. “‘Waterboro’ belonged to Hugers, then Horrys, then to Mr. Frederic Rutledge, afterwards to J.B. Skipper and L.P. McClellan. “At ‘Millbrook’ lived Mr. John Gaillard, then became the property of Mrs. Rosa Hazzards or Trenholms, then to A.W. Leland……..”
Information from: Names in South Carolina by C.H. Neuffer, Published by the S.C. Dept. of English, USC
Explore history, houses, and stories across S.C. Your membership provides you with updates on regional topics, information on historic research, preservation, and monthly feature articles. But remember R&R wants to hear from you and assist in preserving your own family genealogy and memorabilia.
Visit the Southern Queries – Forum to receive assistance in answering questions, discuss genealogy, and enjoy exploring preservation topics with other members. Also listed are several history and genealogical researchers for hire.
User comments welcome — post at the bottom of this page.
Please enjoy this structure and all those listed in Roots and Recall. But remember each is private property. So view them from a distance or from a public area such as the sidewalk or public road.
Do you have information to share and preserve? Family, school, church, or other older photos and stories are welcome. Send them digitally through the “Share Your Story” link, so they too might be posted on Roots and Recall.